Melafix not advised for labyrinth fish

Finny

I have been doing some research and came accross some information stating that Melafix could be harmful to labyrinth fish, gouramis, bettas, paradise fish and the like. It seems it may interfere with their labyrinth organ and affect their surface breathing. Has anybody had any experience with using Melafix on these type of fish?

I use betafix and it is a more dilute product but the same as melafix ,so I don't think there would be a problem short of using too much product, but that would be a lot of it lol.

Thanks, I'll try a diluted dose of Melafix.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it may depend on the individual fish and/or the particular batch of Bettafix/Melafix.

I've had two bettas which both had severe reactions to Bettafix as soon as it was added to the water, whereas other people I know have successfully treated their bettas with the same products (but purchased from different stores at different times). We were all sure we followed the directions, and on my second betta I even halved the dosage.

Having been through that and trusting that the other people weren't lying, I think it becomes a matter of whether or not you want to take the risk.

• 3 weeks later...

I use and have used melafix on all Anabantoides and Polyperides and other surface breathers such as Channa and my electric eel and my lungfish with no problems at all. The thing is that melafix puts a thick slick of oil and bubbles on the water surface and that interfers with their abbility to take air. So small doses are important to keep the oil and bubbles down to a minimum. Keep the water surface ventilated so a fresh supply air will keep replacing the gas that the melafix releases.

Edited by Willfishguy