diy tank

cichlidkid

Ok I thought about it.

the thing is I am getting two, 3 foot by 8 foot pannals for free. they are 10 mill.

what is the largest tank that I could make if I use a 3"metal frame all the way arround the tank and a plywood/3mm plexi bottom.

if it is possible to get a tank longer than 6 feet I would be willing to buy 2 end panals.

I would never go over 5x2x2' with 10mm glass.

I believe my 150 has 12mm glass, and that still makes me nervous. Damn rocks!

But yeah, the bigger it is, the more it costs, the more the liability, the larger the risk, the harder to maintain. Plus, its gotta be able to be transported.

I'd stick with a 60x24x24"... I'd be too affraid of a blow out, caused by an airbubble in the silicone.

Good luck

keep in mind FishManTy that it will have a 3 inch metal frame all the way arround

thanks for the advice

ok garf says this would be fine for a glass tank WITHOUT a 3 inch metal frame so im pretty sure this will be alright. 7 feet long by 30" wide and 24" tall.

I mean think about it. you use way thinner glass on a plywood tank and since there is 3 inchs of support on all sides that is pretty much like most plywood tanks. and garf said that that would be ok for an all glass tank.

im gonna be reall carfull about choices of tank design. no tall, tippy, heavy rocks, lots of driftwood, fake plants and low lying caves and pots.

filteration will be 2 or 1 aq500's and a wet/dry filter doing 1200 gph using a skimmerless overflow.

heating will be a 100w visitherm and a 250w ebo. located in the sump

occupants will be a festae pair, salvini, convict and some t-barbs.

there will be 3 compartments in the 55 or 75 gallon sump. 1 for plants, 1 for a fry/quarunteen tank (with bypass tubes to be used if it is a Q tank) tank. and the last compartment for the return pump.

I will be using an extra powerfull return pump so I can create an ugj system from the return.

As for the tank itself the frame will be whater kind of meal I can get. it will have 1 iron cross beams for support on the bottom and 2 on the top. it will also have glass supports on the top too.

yea I know I have looked arround everyone and everything except smokey (not to say he is wrong, just safe) says that it would be safe and fine.

actualy the tank itself will be 28 inches tall, but that includes the 3 inch metal bracer. There will only be 22" of glass actualy showing.

asds.JPG

o yes sorry I forgot to add that to the computer diagram. (i have a million others laying arround my house.

I was going to put a L frame allong the top like this. Understand? And I was going to have 2 cross bars allong the top, each 2 feet from the end

__ __

ll l -with this being the new L beam

l l

l l

excuse the 2 extra l's they where the only way to get it perfecty alligned