HELP

dirtydog

I gave a neighbour a 20 gal with 2 african cichlids any how his wife way over fed them at some point earlier in the week.

when I went over to look at his tank was cloudy white you could not even see the other side, he said he cleaned out all the extra food and changed 50% of the water, I thought first I should test the water the ph was at 6 same as the tap water here, the nitrite was at 3.3 so we did a 25% water change every 2 days until the nitrite went down to zero the ph didnot change at all. ok now one of the fish has developed a fungus like growth on its side so we treated it with metafix for one week with a 25% water change at the end of it all, the fungus is now gone. but the same fish just sits there hardly ever moves kind of rolls on its side inbetween the rocks and only comes out for food the other fish like helps him to the surface with its nose what the heck is going on here??? can I save this fish? What do I do now? arrrg help me.....please.

tanks for your help

dean

Are these fish used to it or has it always been altered? If this is their usual I wouldn't go changing it now unless the plan is to always PHup it. If so do it gradually or you'll just stress them out more. Getting the water itself stableized is the best thing as 90% of fish issues are water quality. Continue the water changes until you get 0 readings in ammonia and nitrites. I wouldn't worry about nitrates as with all these wces there wont be any.