big new tank

mack165

I need some advise on transfering a tank. I bought a 130gal tank (my fish will one day outgrow their current tanks) and I need to move all fish, rock & sand from two smaller tanks into the big one. I would like to minimize stress on the fish as much as possible. I need to move everything in one shot, I can't set up the new tank until the old ones are moved(only place for the new tank is where the old tanks now sit). Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

It shouldnt be a problem. Get yourself a couple coolers and fill with water from the two smaller tanks,the heaters and an airstone or small power head. Put the fish in the coolers and do the rest of the switch as quickly as possible. Drain the rest of the water from the two small tanks( keep as much of it as you can). If you can move the two small tanks with the gravel in them( I know your not suposed to, but I have done it many times with 20 and 27g tanks without any problems), or scoop all the gravel out into yet more containers. Get the new tank in place and level, put all the gravel from the two small tanks into it(and any new gravel) , and the water that you saved. fill 3/4 of the new tank with fresh declorinated water and start running the filtration (old filters from the small tanks and new filter for the big tank...if there is one). Let the dust settle for a bit and add the water and fish from the cooler(of course making sure you try and keep the temp of all water constant). Dont worry to much about it...just try and get er done as quickly as possible.Have fun :smokey:

Edited by fishytime

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the big move was a success...except for the Royal Gramma. My Picasso Trigger destroyed it. They got along just fine in the old tank, but as soon as all the live rock was out... :chair:

Everything else is happy and none the worse for wear.