Green Slime

mack165

I have had a 10 gal nano running for about 3 months now, and in the past three weeks I have been getting green slime/algae growing on the sand and glass. It seems to form a carpet on the sand. I'm not quite sure what it is or how to get rid of it.

post-1874-1195952279_thumb.jpg

post-1874-1195952321_thumb.jpg

need some more details

flow? what kind of lights how old are they? how long they on for? any other livestock besides the shrimp?

what ever the case more flow, reduce light time, reduce feeding. Flow & old bulbs or not the right "K" is usually the cause for algae like that

The tank has lots of flow, one 400L/hr PH and one 100L/hr PH. The lights are reef sun 50/50 15w amd coral sun 15w. Both are three months old.

The other livestock are a handful of small blue leg hermits, two nassarus(don't think thats even close to right spelling)snails, one turbo snail and a small two line damsel. The damsel and the shrip are being evicted soon. The damsel won't leave the shrimp alone, and the shrimp won't leave the hammer coral alone, the hammer hates them both.

I think reducing the lighting time would help (lit for 9hrs/day). My "K" is low in spite of a product I was assured would bring it up and balance it. Any recommended product?

Thanks Murm.

• 1 month later...

Likely it is just a phase your newer tank is going through. Keep up with water changes and you could try and wait it out.

Alternatives to waiting:

It almost looks like some kind of cyano or diatom to me. The bubbles in it look cyano-ish, though I know it is not red there are different colors in existence. Maybe try increasing your flow just over the affected areas, or perhaps a cyano product to get rid of it may help (anything is possible). I also read that nerite snails and cerith snails can be helpful in reducing green filmy algae.

It doesn't mention what brand of salt you are using, but it is possible that if you change to one that contains more minerals it might just help. Maybe oceanpure pro or something. You could also try switching out the 50/50 for an actinic, then decreasing the amt of time your 10k/equivalent is on by several hours. (not sure what "coral sun" is, lol)

Edited by sharuq1

• 5 months later...

Hello, I have a 2 month old 10G nano with the exact same thing. The only difference is mine has red slime algae.

Try buying a couple turbo snails. When I added mine into the tank a week ago they have been cleaning steadily at night.

What a difference they made. It`s like new rock again.

They have been eating GH algae, I don`t know if they go for the slime.

Every week I clean out the algae growing on the sand. What a mess!