African Lungfish

Willfishguy

I wondering if anyone has information on or can point me in the direction of information in regard to properly identifing my African Lungfish. I cannot figure out if it is a P. a. annectens, P. dolli, or a P. a. aethiopicus. I was hoping it is a P. a. aethiopicus.

There is a picture of it im my piture folder when she was about 25cm, but I don't have an updated one of it right now.

Not much of a photo, I am afraid, so identification is more than a bit iffy....looks like a P. dolloi to me from what I can see. How big is it and whereabouts did you get it (and when)?

Yeah, they all look pretty much the same, to me, at that age, but thanks anyway. I was hoping for a scale count or something like that.

Hey, I was wondering, do you have a M.Sc. or a Ph.D.? And where did you get it? UofV, UBC, UoG or SFU?

Yeah, they all look pretty much the same, to me, at that age, but thanks anyway. I was hoping for a scale count or something like that.

There are measurements, but nothing done easily with a live specimen. If you can remember where and when you got him, it could also help, as most of the proptopterus that have come into Alberta over the past 3 years have been P. dolloi and P. annectans....and I just happen to be familiar with who had what when.

Hey, I was wondering, do you have a M.Sc. or a Ph.D.? And where did you get it? UofV, UBC, UoG or SFU?

M.Sc. and UC.

There are measurements, but nothing done easily with a live specimen. If you can remember where and when you got him, it could also help, as most of the proptopterus that have come into Alberta over the past 3 years have been P. dolloi and P. annectans....and I just happen to be familiar with who had what when.

M.Sc. and UC.

Nothing scientific in regard to their identification? It doesn't have to be easy, just reliable.

I can't tell you where I got it, but if you tell me who had what and when I can pick it out of those.

Nothing scientific in regard to their identification? It doesn't have to be easy, just reliable.

I can't tell you where I got it, but if you tell me who had what and when I can pick it out of those.

Nothing that I can type out quickly...I will see if I can scan a the pertinants of a couple of taxonomic papers on the subject.

Nothing that I can type out quickly...I will see if I can scan a the pertinants of a couple of taxonomic papers on the subject.

Do the papers have an answer that is quicker to type then the answer in your head that would take you a long time to type out? Or do you just not know? If you don't know, it's ok, I will not think any less of you.

Actually, if you tell me who had what and when, I'll easily be able to pick it out from them.

Do the papers have an answer that is quicker to type then the answer in your head that would take you a long time to type out?

Not really, no.

Or do you just not know? If you don't know, it's ok, I will not think any less of you.

Mighty big of you, but I know just fine, thanks.

Actually, if you tell me who had what and when, I'll easily be able to pick it out from them.

I am curious as to why you cannot disclose where you got yours from, actually...seems a bit cloak and dagger.

Suffice it to say that almost all the lungs that have been in area shops over the past three years have been dolloi, with the exception of two batches of two Protopterus annectans annectans each that Gold had in, two P. annectans sp. (unsure of the subspecies) that were in Pisces about 22 months ago(and a number of Lepidosiren that have been scattered amongst Calgary stores). As far as I am aware, not one Protopterus aethiopicus aethiopicus (or P. a. congicus or P. a. mesmaekersi for that matter) has been in any Alberta store in the past 5 years.

Do the papers have an answer that is quicker to type then the answer in your head that would take you a long time to type out?

Not really, no.

Or do you just not know? If you don't know, it's ok, I will not think any less of you.

Mighty big of you, but I know just fine, thanks.

I am curious as to why you cannot disclose where you got yours from, actually...seems a bit cloak and dagger.

Suffice it to say that almost all the lungs that have been in area shops over the past three years have been dolloi, with the exception of two batches of two Protopterus annectans annectans each that Gold had in, two P. annectans sp. (unsure of the subspecies) that were in Pisces about 22 months ago(and a number of Lepidosiren that have been scattered amongst Calgary stores). As far as I am aware, not one Protopterus aethiopicus aethiopicus (or P. a. congicus or P. a. mesmaekersi for that matter) has been in any Alberta store in the past 5 years.

Nope, I didn't get it from any of those places, thanks for responding though. I'll check else where.

Rather bizarre ripost...

Rather bizarre what?

And I was born on the same day as Einstein, and though that doesn't make me smart; I am weird and hard to understand sometimes.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ripost

Seems to me Toitiris went through a bit of trouble to answer your question. Why leave it unfinished? You've got ME wondering what kind of lung fish you have now! :smokey:

You've got ME wondering what kind of lung fish you have now! :smokey:

...and where it was abducted from, non?

Well, if the lung came from any other shop in Calgary, it came from one local wholesaler, or one of two Florida 'farms'....and was either a P. annectans or P. dolloi (in the case of a Petland specimen or two and a couple that the very defunct Big Al's had before they imploded.).

Rather bizarre ripost...

Rather bizarre what?

And I was born on the same day as Einstein, and though that doesn't make me smart; I am weird and hard to understand sometimes.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ripost

Seems to me Toitiris went through a bit of trouble to answer your question. Why leave it unfinished? You've got ME wondering what kind of lung fish you have now! :smokey:

Toitie is incorrect on all accounts as to where I obtained this fish, but with the help of a few friends I've come to the conlusion that it is not a P. dolloi, and more then likely not a P. annectens sp., which is all rather exciting news!