Today in the Fishroom ~ 01/19/08

Aquamojo

those are some killer pics dude. you should give lessons on photography. how many fry do you guestamate? everyone take notes, THATS how to take pics! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

I just saw your question. Interesting in that the Parachromis cichlids have a LOT of fry...several hundred. If you think about the logic here it's amazing. In most bodies of water they are one of....if not THE apex predator. SO why so many? You would think that being top dog (fish) in the pond you wouldn't need as many. I am sure that predation by other fish wipes out the majority. I have often thought that it reflects back on survival of the fittest. The best fry make it through to adulthood.

Thanks for the props folks.

Quinn, all I can say is that if you ever get an oportunity...go. The majority of what I own is F0 Stock. A while back I was asked specifically what I had in the tanks. Here's a NEAR tally:

6 F0 P. Managuense Sp. Honduras (plus fry)

2 F1 P. Managuense (Jumbo & one other)

3 F0 P. Motaguense Sp. Rio Blanco (pair and a spare female)

9 F0 P. Fredrichsthali Sp. Cenote Escondido

24 F1 P. Loiselli Sp. La Cieba (Yellow Headed Parachromis)

1 F1 P. Dovii

6 F0 H. Labridens "yellow"

6 F0 H. Labridens "blue" Sp. Taninul"

7 F0 H. Labridens "green"

6 F0 H. Labridens "white"

8 F0 H. Carpinte Rio Salto

1 H. Cyanaguttatum

1 H. Carpinte "Turquoise"

3 1 H. Carpinte "Rio Verde"

2 H. Carpinte "Sugar Creek" (Named on the location collected...by sugar cane plant)

1 H. Minckleyi

5 F0 A. Hogaboomarum

2 A. Macracanthus

3 F1 A. Zaliosum

3 F0 A. Robertsoni Sp. Red Cheek

5 P. Bifascitum

5 P. Synspilum

2 V. Heterospilum

4 P. Breidohri

1 P. Zonatum

1 Ex-C. Pearsei

3 V. Ufermanni

5 P. Fenestratum (3 Pink - 2 Calico)

1 V. Regani

3 F0 C. Micropthalmus

4 C. Intermedium

1 F1 C. Umbriferum Sp Panama Green

12 F0 C. Cutteri

2-3 dozen (not sure) A. Nigrofasciatum (Rio Monga & Rio Chuloteca)

4 C. Honduran Red Point

4 Osphronemus goramy

1 Albino Osphronemus goramy

3-4 dozen Metynsis (dithers in various tanks)

Couple dozen Pleco in various sizes and flavors (Zebra, Abarasque, Adonis, Leopard...)

1 S. Eupterus

1 Woodcat

3 S. Angelicus

a handful of smaller bottom feeders

5 Butterfly fish

20 Gourami (Blue, Sunset, Snakeskin, Opal) in the pond.

There might be a few more...but for the most part that's the list.

Edited by Aquamojo

I just saw your question. Interesting in that the Parachromis cichlids have a LOT of fry...several hundred. If you think about the logic here it's amazing. In most bodies of water they are one of....if not THE apex predator. SO why so many? You would think that being top dog (fish) in the pond you wouldn't need as many. I am sure that predation by other fish wipes out the majority. I have often thought that it reflects back on survival of the fittest. The best fry make it through to adulthood.

It's no different than any other fish species I am aware of. Fish do not invest in raising fewer but larger newborns as they rise up the food chain the way mammals do. Being egg layers does not offer that opportunity. And I think you hit the nail on the head as to why...predation...including self predation/cannibalism. You only need to consider the general tendency of young dovii to hide in a tank they have all to themselves to realize even the Parachromis genus leads a hard live during its youth.

Nice collection Mo. I thought seriously about going last year. Just so many other commitments...