All my Balas just died

JGixxer

So I have a 90 GALLON comunity tank w\3 iridecent sharks, 20 or so rasboras, and 10 tetras.

yesterday I did a 60% waterchange, removed the old rocks and sand, and scrubed the algae off the tank (no chemicals used)

filled the tank back up(used conditioner)added a new large Bala and two small plecos. This evening I notice that all the fish are at the top gulping air, the water is really cloudy and my filter stopped(I have a large cannister filter) So I change the filter and go out for dinner. When I came back all 9 Balas were dead.... what the hell happened???

Edited by JGixxer

filter stops= bad water.

a 90 liter tank IS too small for that much of a bioload.

plus if you switch out the filter you lose all your beneficial bacteria.

so there is your answer.

Quinn

ok, but would it happen that fast. I havent ever had any problems with this tank, with these fish, and would adding three more fish and changing the filter cause only the Balas to die in a 24 hour period?

Could it be a Bala specific diesease that the new one brought into the tank?

and that is 90 gallons, not liters...oops

Edited by JGixxer

IMO i'd just move the fish to another tank if you have one and start this tank over like its new.

sounds like you have some nasty bacteria with the balas dying and the white cloudy water.

Quinn

well I already just changed out 90% of the water again, so it is prettymuch a new tank. Cloudyness is almost gone, and remaining fish seem happy again.

It does sound like you had an oxygen deficiency.

On top of that you likely had a nitrite spike. This spike does happen quickly and the balas might just have been stressed with the move and just couldn't handle it. Sorry about your loss.

1. The tank was overloaded to begin with.

2. The massive water change likely caused at least some sudden change in water parameters.

3. Removing all the substrate disrupted the biological bed and likely released a fair amount of organic material into the water column.

4. You added more fish, adding to the already huge bioload....and the bala sharks are typically difficult to acclimate at best.

5. I have no idea why the filter stopped, but the lack of filtration, combined with a lack of oxygenation was a major factor.