White cloud Minnows

Terrie Lee

I have 6 dwarf corycats and 6 white cloud minnows in a hex that is 6 and a quater inches by 11 inches on each side. Is this too small for them?

They seem twitchy. Are they just always twitchy? I have never kept these fish before but I thought they would be okay in such a tiny tank as I had heard of them being okay in small tanks.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I know sometimes my questions are a little dumb.

Edited by Terrie Lee

I seem to remember you saying this was a 6 gallon tank in another thread. Seems to me like it would be over double stocked with what you've listed here. How is their water quality? Planted, filtered, heated? WC actually do well in cooler water... maybe their temperature requirements aren't the same as the cories, too. I found our WC do best around 68 or so... most of our others I keep at least 4F higher. I have some very young WC minnows now, and have kept them in the past, and never noticed them being 'twitchy'. :(

I don't know how to calculate what size the tank is. I don't think it is double stocked as the corycats are 1 cm long and almost full grown. I am just worried that the WC's do not have enough room to swim.

The tankk is usually room temperature as it is unheated right now. I have a sponge filter for filtration. The water is clean and the nitirites are 0.

They have some dwarf val in there too. What I meant by "twitchy" is they swim in small circles and they move around more than my swordtails.

With a little help from google and some formulas I figure you have a volume of about 4.8 gallons according to your measurements. 1cm is small for sure! My dwarf cory is closer to an inch. I did have one who was a bit smaller, but it died over Christmas... I'm down to one now. In my experience the white clouds alone would be more than enough for that tank... but I tend to try to understock everything to be safe.

I spent awhile watching mine today. They do have fast bursts of movement... what I guess you'd call twitchy. :) I also noticed that there was a lot of chasing and bossing going on... I have mine in a 10g planted tank with a few hidey spots in it, but I'm going to rearrange things more so there's more hiding spots for the fish that's getting chased all the time. You might want to watch for that.

I think it may be too much. There is 5 minnows now since one decided to go on a little "trip".

I may put them in another tank and get a betta. Anyone noticed any spectacular bettas in the LFS?