My Leopard Sailfin Pleco just ate all my algae

fishprincess

I purchased a pleco for a tank that had an algae problem (The pleco is only about 6.5 cm long, and when she gets too big, I'll exchange her for a smaller pleco). Just a few days later, "Alice" has eaten almost all the algae. I'm worried that Alice will starve to death. Should I supplement her diet with vegetables?

Thanks!

fishprincess

Plecos will eat zucchini, cucumber, green beans, frozen peas...and of course they will eat algae wafers or NLS h20 stable wafers and some love shrimp pellets too. I even have a pleco that loves banana and cantaloupe (which I give to the goldfish as treats but the pleco fights for it). Hope this helps you supplement her diet.

Tammy

Plecos will eat zucchini, cucumber, green beans, frozen peas...and of course they will eat algae wafers or NLS h20 stable wafers and some love shrimp pellets too. I even have a pleco that loves banana and cantaloupe (which I give to the goldfish as treats but the pleco fights for it). Hope this helps you supplement her diet.

Tammy

Hi,

Thank you SOOO much for your suggestions!

Every night I put in a small wafer for my cories and loaches. Do you think maybe Alice eats some of it? (It's not just the bottom-dwellers who eat it, everyone else in the tank just loves wafers LOL! -roll-)

What quantity of vegetables would I feed her? Would I have to shell the peas? (I read a story online where someone was giving their goldfish a pea to prevent SBD, and since they didn't shell it, the goldfish choked)

Would the other fish go after the vegetable, like with the wafers?

Thanks!

fishprincess