Big surprise in the Seahorse tank this morning: PONIES!

mitsukuni

My wife went to feed the 'horses this morn, when all of a sudden she started calling me to come quick! Little tiny, fully formed seahorses were swimming around the tank, and the proud papa was letting them out of his pouch as we watched... we carefully herded them into two small plastic livebearer breeding traps, floating at the top, and I've been giving them frozen baby brine shrimp every little while since then.

Way cool! I still love my fw tanks, but I have to admit, marine aquariums are way cool.

Phil

My wife went to feed the 'horses this morn, when all of a sudden she started calling me to come quick! Little tiny, fully formed seahorses were swimming around the tank, and the proud papa was letting them out of his pouch as we watched... we carefully herded them into two small plastic livebearer breeding traps, floating at the top, and I've been giving them frozen baby brine shrimp every little while since then.

Way cool! I still love my fw tanks, but I have to admit, marine aquariums are way cool.

Phil

Congrats...

yehawww

are you going to raise them??

Edited by finaddict

WAY too cool! Seahorses are just about my favourite water-critter! I'm so jealous! I think they've gotta be one of the first projects when we're ready to get into sw.

Congratulations!! :thumbs:

Way cool! I'll be living this vicariously through you. Keep us posted on how things go! As soon as my tank limit is lifted I'd like to go for a seahorse tank.

What will you do with all the babies? Is there a market for them?

Thanks for the support - we've been reading a bit today, and apparently baby seahorses are very hard to raise - the bbs aren't going to give them enough nutrition - we need a fine algae - Wifey's gonna get some advice from Albert tomorrow on what to do next... We weren't ready for this one... :shock: Let's not start taking orders yet... ^_^ They'll live off their yolk sacs for the first 24 or so, after that its up to us...

I got a few pics of the breeding trap, I'll throw em on here in a bit.

BTW, they're black seahorses, whose latin name escapes me at the moment...

Here are a couple of shots of the babies, macro:

n688607115_650219_7976.jpg

n688607115_650218_7566.jpg

Its funny: they're fully formed, perfect imitations of the adults, except that they're teeny tiny. If you're familiar with a livebearer breeding trap, then you can get a good idea by comparing the size of the bottom slots with the little ponies.

So far this morn there are still many swimming. Hopefully we'll find some kind of food source for them today.

Here are the happy parents:

n688607115_619742_2039.jpg

Edited by mitsukuni