Thank god for a airpump

Guppygirl

:) Talk about good luck. On Wednesday night about 12:15 am the power went out in Grande Prairie was out for about 1 1/2 hours maybe more don't really remember. At the time of the power outage the airpumps, filters and heaters all went out. I didn't panic at that moment as the fish are fine for a while without anything, I only got up with a flashlight to see if the water was going to go up the tubing and towards the airpumps. Most of the pumps are looped and have the backflow attactment except one and no water came up on that one. So that was good. Went to bed, eventually heard the bubblers and what I thought were all the filters come back after the power came back. Thought nothing of it the next morning except to see if anyone knew what happened-no mention of it that I heard. Most slept though it. So today (friday) was checking my tanks all looked normal until I saw that one filter had not restarted like the others and the filter floss was dry, slimy and somewhat crusty. Not pleasant. The filter bacteria are most likely dead and so changed the filter floss. Shook out the uptake tube to get rid of any algae chunks and restarted the filter. It still works fine-good. The best thing was that my airpump in that tank went out with the power and then came back on- keeping the water circulated and oxygeninated for a day and half. The fish are all fine, no worse for wear. So today I feel blessed because if the pump had stopped too it might not have been pretty. So today I bow down :bow: to the humble but handy airpump.

Darn.... I was almost convinced to shut mine down because of another thread... now I'll probably leave it running. ;) Thanks for sharing. Sounds like all the fish made it, that's the big thing. :)