55-65 gallon community tank questions

clockwork

i have a bit of experience keeping new world cichlids and would like to try out an african community tank.

i have been doing some reading, and im pretty sure i have an okay mix here. basically just curious if i have the numbers correct as i want to be sure to spread the aggression around evenly.

here is what im looking at:

3 red empress (1m, 2f)

2 a. calvus (hopefully a pair)

3 gorgeous haps

3 peacocks (not sure which variety yet...)

is this too few fish? too many?

i know therer are a mix of fish here from both malawi and tang. from what i can tell these can be kept together as long as there arent mbunas in there.

i also have some syndontis i would like to put in with them.

also, given the relatively hard water in edmonton can i assume that i dont need to use any salts or chemicals to improve water chemistry?

While the Malawi haplochromines and the calvus have similar dietary requirements, you may find that the

Malawi will outcompete the calvus for food come feeding time. The calvus grow slow enough as it is.

I would also personally stick to only one species of peacocks as they are at high risk to hybridize and males

don't really get along with each other too well.

The synodontis will do great with all of these fish.

The larger haplochromines will certainly appreciate a larger tank.

Edited by Nyasa

While the Malawi haplochromines and the calvus have similar dietary requirements, you may find that the

Malawi will outcompete the calvus for food come feeding time. The calvus grow slow enough as it is.

I would also personally stick to only one species of peacocks as they are at high risk to hybridize and males

don't really get along with each other too well.

The synodontis will do great with all of these fish.

The larger haplochromines will certainly appreciate a larger tank.

thank you! that is just the kind of information i was looking for!

Becareful choosing the other haps too, as some Hap females look quite similar and they will hybridize.

Are you planning on breeding?

i was just hoping to keep these fish, if they breed then they breed. i will take extreme caution in choosing peacocks and haps as there seems to be a lot of trouble in a ) identifying them, b ) mixing them up and getting hybrids.

right now i am trying to get a couple more tanks to breed my angelfish...

would it perhaps be better to go all males in this tank?

Edited by clockwork

• 1 month later...

I have an all male tank (see my sig for stock list) and I just added a pair of black calvus. they are all doing great together so far.

What type of haps are you looking at adding?, some get way too bIg for a 55 or 65 gal.

If you go all male, you can do several types of peacocks easily as long as they are of different coloration. You can also do some calm mbuna like labidochromis caeruleus for some bright color.

I like the all male set up, it avoids breeding aggression and issues with hybridization. And the color can be amazing! Here's a helpful link:

All Male Malawi

If you don't do all males, I would say stick with only a few species that won't cross breed with each other.

Good luck!

I have to agree with most. You don't want to get similar species where their females look similar. If you will be getting calvus I would not mix them with more aggressive malawi. They are only slightly aggressive themselves. I honestly suggest you try and do an all malawi tank, or an all tang tank. Try and stay away from similar looking fish, as most will become aggressive towards each other as well. In a 55 gallon I would go for an all male tank, unless you only get a few species, which then you will want to mix different looking species together. As well most africans do well in longer tanks than they do deep. Your water will be fine for them, they do love hard water.