T5's

FishManTy

Looking for some information on the t5 lights. Seems like they are popular at some places... take Pisces having 4 on each plant tank.

How big of a difference is there in the 54W compared to the... 27W i think it was. Some places charge the same, but in theory wouldn't the 54W be much brighter??

The Reflector, does it make a huge difference?? (On an enclosed wooden canopy that is...)

thanks

Just like with most other forms of flourescent lighting, VHO vs NO is a big difference. VHO being much more intense - and well worth the added expense. Now of course, you have to decide if you need that extra intensity - for planted tanks and reefs - you definitely want the VHO versions. To just put some light on a tank go with the power savings of the NO bulb.

Reflectors make a huge difference, it's definitely worthwhile spending some time / money building a reasonable one - or buying one. You can loose a considerable percentage of the bulb's emited light - and intensity without a decent reflector.

While high zoot (and high $) reflectors are worth it, for budget projects, anything can be better than nothing. The 10g canopy I was selling last summer, had a perceptable improvement in light output simply from switching the paint on the inside of the hood from a gloss white to a flat white (reflects better - but it was still just a box). If you look at my 2.5g hood - that's another learned improvement on the 10g hoods design, The reflector (and bulb holders) were built of 1/4" plywood, then I added a 1/2" square stock to reduce restrike (light reflecting back onto the bulb). Again, there was a perceived increase in intensity... It's by no means as efficient as say the reflector sold by ahsupply.com - but it sure reflected better than a empty box.

Andy

Excuse my stupidity, but can you say what you been by NO and VHO?

All I really know is that I have a 90 gallon, with some basic low light plants that I want to give some more light. Kyle and I were looking at t5's, and that seems to be the safest easiest cheapish way to go, and get good light for the money.

We saw some low watt and high wattage, and the high wattage was a bit more money in some cases, and Im just confused if its actually worth it to bump up the wattage a bit.

Im a newbie to lighting!

Ty, NO I believe is normal output, VHO is very high output.

As far as reflectors go, I've done some looking around the web and have found DIY information. Seems that some people use a reflective mylar (the one thread got it from a hobby supply store as a chrome wing coating for airplanes) and others use a mirrored acrylic. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these, or building some other reflector. I know white paint works well and is simple, but wouldn't something actually reflective make a bigger difference?

This is my T5 setup. Rob from Animal World gave me the box for free if I bought the lights from him. I just had to paint the box. He told me the name of a place that worked with metal (was over in the industrial area down the street from the Husky). I brought the box to him, told him what I wanted it for and he made me a reflector and installed it in the box. Cost me 5$.

post-38-1107746039

That's somewhat disappointing about them only being 28 watt bulbs from Rob. I was hoping that his were the 54/56 watt bulbs (I grew up with him and we both got into fish together years ago so he usually treats me pretty well). Ty and I noticed quite the difference between the two in our travels (even before we realized that there was a difference). Thanks for the reflector tip, I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the Hat.

I only wanted enough light suitable for low light plants. I don't want to mess with CO2 stuff. I suppose 2 of the larger bulbs would have been a better idea. Anyways, he said that those are the bulbs he had installed on all the tanks in his fishroom and I would never have to worry about them being out of stock or becoming obsolete...he would always be carrying that particular bulb.