speaking of water conditioner...

johnsmith

In what quantity is untreated water dangerous for fish?

E.g. if I rinse something off under the tap and put it in the tank is it likely to cause problems?

I know someone here in Calgary who says he stopped treating his water years ago and has never had a problem, even when he does large water changes. I would never be comfortable going that far, I'm just wondering how paranoid I have to be.

In what quantity is untreated water dangerous for fish?

That would depend on how high of concentration the chlorine level is at your tap.

Chlorine dissipates as it runs through the water mains, and depending on where you are situated from the source in your town/city, and how much water you remove at each water change, you 'might' be able to go without adding a water conditioner. Lots of things one would need to factor in, including the size of tank.

I wouldn't risk more than 10% using chlorine treated water, and I would only do this if I was pressurizing the water before it went into my tank. (a thumb over the end of a Python tube would work)

The warmer the water, the less chlorine it will contain, too.....and if your tap has a good aerator attached, it will also gas off a lot of chlorine.....and every few minutes that the water sits before it hits your tank, even more chlorine gasses off...but still, I would treat my water....better safe than sorry.