Filtration.

collector

Hey all, I've been reading on this topic. the general opinion seems to be that you can never have too much filtration.

That's what I always thought as well. I have an AquaClear 500, and an AquqClear 200 on my 44 gallon tank. Is this too much?? I have heard you can have too much air in a tank, really bad for some cichlids. Is the same true with filters? I ask cause I put 3, 2" fish in the tank. Tank is already cycled, with very good water test results. They didn't stick to the filter, or have any problems getting around, but died in 5 hours. New fish now been in there 5 days no problems, they are a little larger. Any advice or opinions on this topic would be great!

Thank You. S.

Hey all, I've been reading on this topic. the general opinion seems to be that you can never have too much filtration.

That's what I always thought as well. I have an AquaClear 500, and an AquqClear 200 on my 44 gallon tank. Is this too much?? I have heard you can have too much air in a tank, really bad for some cichlids. Is the same true with filters? I ask cause I put 3, 2" fish in the tank. Tank is already cycled, with very good water test results. They didn't stick to the filter, or have any problems getting around, but died in 5 hours. New fish now been in there 5 days no problems, they are a little larger. Any advice or opinions on this topic would be great!

Thank You. S.

I've found that as long as you don't have a "storm surge" type flow rate literally tumbling your fish violently across the aquarium with no place to rest, then the more filtration the better. (You can add some do-it-yourself flow diverters to the AC's if you need to reduce the current a bit.) I run 2 AC 110 (formerly 500) on a 55 gallon with no troubles...also run 2 of the AC 70's (formerly 300) on a heavily occupied 33 gal grow out. I tend to mix the filter media a bit when running 2 HOB's on a single tank, provides lots of great bio and physical filtration though!

Running those two filters you are cycling your tank at a minimum of 172 gallon/hr to a maximum of 700 gallon/hr according to the Aquaclear information, theoretically cleaning all the water in your tank between 4 and 16 times an hour.

Good Luck,

Hal

Edited by Northranger

Filtration can be limitless, yes, but as noted above, flow is the killer in some cases. Simply put, would you want to live in a 100 mile per hour wind all the time? It's exhausting! Make sure they have a quiet area of the tank to hide in. I have a 65g with two powerheads and two canister filters (each itself rated for three-times the size tank) and I have a really high current in the top of the tank. However the bottom of the tank is scaped so that even the smallest fish has plenty of downtime available with plenty of rock walls and caves to chill out in.