Laterite

Shai

Thanks for finding that link, Firestorm, I appreciate the help!

I've struck out at garden centers in the city though--maybe it's too early in the year for them to carry laterite? Dunno.

I want to explore some more options before I order off the net. I am dosing ferts so Jvision's comment about peat having a high CEC and the fact that peat is readily available has me leaning in that direction. Since my substrate is sand I won't have to worry much about it being disturbed and making a mess, and I can get the peat down underneath using the ice cube method I mentioned.

Does it have to be a particular kind of peat or can I go to a garden center and buy any old kind?

Edited by Shai

I do believe there is basically only one kind of peat you can get, but I could be wrong. Try to stay away from ones that are not pure peat, you don't want to be adding things to your tank you don't want. I have actually seen the laterite at many stores now that you have caught my attention with it. But it is very very expensive, more than just buying the fluorite or peat. Besides that it looked more like gravel, so it may be harder to make into balls, but since I don't know how it reacts when wet I can't be certain. I wish you luck on your find, and the ice cube idea is great, I never would have thought of that myself :)