Laterite

Shai

I need some laterite but I haven't been able to actually find any. Where in (preferably NW) Calgary can I get some? Crowfoot Petland and Pisces don't carry it. Is it something I can buy from a garden center, like Sunnyside?

You can use a thin layer of peat under your gravel/sand. Peat has a high Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC), which is the primary purpose of Laterite. True, Laterite has some iron in it, but if you're going to be fertilizing, the peat will soon have a store of iron and other nutrients.

We have not been able to find the laterite either, but I do know seachem makes some. We decided to go with the fluorite instead since we couldn't find the laterite. We got our fluorite from the petland by sunridge mall. But I would check out either river front aquariums, maybe give them a call first so you don't waste your gas. Or of course I would try pisces. They usually always have what we are looking for, they have such a wide variety of items for fish needs. Here is the info for river front. And also for pisces.

Pisces Pet Emporium

10, 5220 - 4 Street NE

Calgary, Alberta T2K 5X4

CANADA

Tel: (403) 274-3314

Fax: (403) 275-6296

Email: contact@piscespets.com

Store

Store Hours

Monday to Friday

9:00am to 9:00pm

Saturdays

9:00am to 6:00pm

Sundays

10:00am to 5:30pm

Riverfront Aquariums

417 Riverfront Ave.

Calgary Alberta

T2C 0C2

phone: (403) 265-8157

fax: (403) 264-7229

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm

Saturday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Sunday & Hoildays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm

I require the laterite to make laterite balls specifically for the iron, so neither peat nor fluorite will do unless they can be substituted for this purpose and be made in to balls. Tearing the tank down to put in a whole layer underneath is not an option. Riverfront is really inconvenient for me to get to...any other sources/ideas?

PS: Firestorm, I shop at Pisces regularly, but thanks!

Edited by Shai

I require the laterite to make laterite balls specifically for the iron, so neither peat nor fluorite will do unless they can be substituted for this purpose and be made in to balls. Tearing the tank down to put in a whole layer underneath is not an option. Riverfront is really inconvenient for me to get to...any other sources/ideas?

PS: Firestorm, I shop at Pisces regularly, but thanks!

Ah I see, didn't know you wanted it for that reason. The best place to look then is online, mops is a great site to shop at, I was in pisces today and didn't see any laterite. When big al's opens up on 32nd ave NE, they might carry the stuff, but they won't be opening their new store until late spring. Have you tried using liquid fertilizers containing iron? And I don't think you will be able to make balls out of the fluorite. Your other bet is to try sunnyside acres, which I believe is somewhere off memorial in the west, or try golden acres which is right behind pisces.

Have you tried using liquid fertilizers containing iron? And I don't think you will be able to make balls out of the fluorite. Your other bet is to try sunnyside acres, which I believe is somewhere off memorial in the west, or try golden acres which is right behind pisces.

Yes, but the plants that need it mainly absorb ferts through the roots and since too much iron can encourage algae I wanted to get the iron down at the roots of those specific plants where it would be most useful.

Hmm. If I can't find any, I suppose I could make "balls" out of fluorite or peat by mixing it with water then freezing this "mix" in an ice cube tray. The cubes can then be pushed into my substrate at intervals, where they'll unfreeze and settle in.

Just so I'm prepared, which is more recommended, fluorite or peat?

Edited by Shai

Not sure exactly which is best for helping fertilize, but we found that when we added the peat, it became more like dirt and wasn't as good when we siphoned, as more of it came up and made more of a mess in the tank. The only thing about the fluorite is that it can create alot of cloudiness due to the dust, so you would want to rinse it well first. sounds like a good idea with freezing it, how come I didn't think of that before lol. I know you can also buy fertilizer sticks that you push in by the roots of the plants, and some of them can fertilize them for up to a year. never thought of the red clay, that might also work for you.

When you use peat or Laterite as the lowest 1/4" you don't want to disturb the gravel; otherwise, it makes a mess.

Flourite works the same as peat - it has an high CEC and basically absorbs ferts and holds them for the plants.

My substrate is sand.

I really don't have time or opportunity to do anything too involved.