Powerhead question

Kayen

Which powerheads are able to be used outside of the water, but not running dry, as i want to make a DIY canister, but do not want to implement the pump inside of the canister as i would have to thread the powercord through and cut that, and i don't want to do that, instead i want to have the powerhead outside of the canister body, something like this:

Canister1.jpg

- Image taken from http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/6143...ter-filter.html

I want to make a Small canister filter like that, and was wonder which powerheads could be used in an application like that?

only maxijets can be used for external application. I have tried the hagen ones and they do not work well at all. Maxijets are far more forgiving .

But if you are going to build a canister you might want to use internal/external water pumps like the Mags or Ehiems.

Edited by victornguyen

Keep in mind this is a small canister that will be used on a tank 2.5-10g, so the gph will be around 100 at most without media.

Otherwise i'd use a submersible pump if not for my not wanting to cut the powercord, scared of electronics.