All-Female tank

Fishful Thinking

I was just thinking that the female festae and nicaragua are both stunning visually, IMO more so than the males of each species. They also stay at relatively smaller size so less bioload. So my idea is as follows: all female tank! Now, I am not sure if nics and festaes would work out long term, but are there any other SA/CA species that you feel the female is more colorful than the male? If there was a combo of species that worked, it would be like the complete opposite of the all-male haps/peacock tank!

I was just thinking that the female festae and nicaragua are both stunning visually, IMO more so than the males of each species. They also stay at relatively smaller size so less bioload. So my idea is as follows: all female tank! Now, I am not sure if nics and festaes would work out long term, but are there any other SA/CA species that you feel the female is more colorful than the male? If there was a combo of species that worked, it would be like the complete opposite of the all-male haps/peacock tank!

My female Golden Saum/Green Terror is at least equal to the male in colouring and finage...just about 1/3 the size...which is a good thing.

Hopefully the females would not go into spawning behaviour...if so then her aggression would not help a community tank, all female or not.

An interesting concept, I'm curious to see your results.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that the females are that much more stunning than the males (nics and festae). The females usually need a potential mate nearby to have their colors really turn on and pop. At smaller sizes, yeah nic females are more colorful than males, but when full grown, males are just as interesting to look at. They might not have the very pronounced colors, but there's a LOT of subtleties to them.

Here's a 10"+ (yes, they do get that large!) male nic that I rescued. He was still recovering, but he had awesome coloration to his body, head and most of all his fins!

nicaraguense007.jpg

And I'm not quite sure if I'd call a fish as aggressive and potentially up to a foot long as being a great community fish. Female festae can be downright nasty! Before I sold my female, she was quite drab when not courting with her mate.

Often times the kribensis can be housed with SA/CA cichlids, and I find often the females are more colorful than the males. If you have only females you won't see as much of a problem with aggression. But the only disadvantage is that they only grow to be about 4" and may not do well with fish that grow big enough to eat them. I am not 100% sure if they are compatible with the ones you have, but I would say you should look into it.