New fish species discovered near Ambon Island, Indonesia

Finbert

"A fish that would rather crawl into crevices than swim, and that may be able to see in the same way that humans do, could represent an entirely unknown family of fishes, says a University of Washington fish expert.

The fish, sighted in Indonesian waters off Ambon Island, has tan- and peach-colored zebra-striping, and rippling folds of skin that obscure its fins, making it look like a glass sculpture that Dale Chihuly might have dreamed up. But far from being hard and brittle like glass, the bodies of these fist-sized fish are soft and pliable enough to slip and slide into narrow crevices of coral reefs. It’s probably part of the reason that they've typically gone unnoticed – until now."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...w-nfh040208.php

They interviewed the guy who discovered them on Quirks & Quarks, and he said something about guarding eggs and now having a bunch of fry. I don't know if it was one they were observing in the wild, or a captive specimen, but if it was the latter, that would mean they breed easily in captivity. Just a matter of time til you can have one?

Some people on canreef have frogfish. They are usually kept in a tank with corals and no other fish because the other fish would be lunch. I guess they can eat fish up to 2/3 their size. I am sure they are not this newly discovered species - but frogfish are available if the forums on canreef are true.

The article mentioned something about one specimen was observed with a batch of eggs. Very neat article, and humans thought they found and destroyed every creature...Bam we got another one.....

• 2 weeks later...