Severe problems with our Oranda!!!

katmintblue

Hi all!

We are new to the forum but, we are experiencing a major problem with our Oranda. He has bloated out on one side of his body & is now listing around the tank. He can swim if he chooses but, depending on how he lands is whether it is right side up or not. I am trying some of the fixes I found in here with directions to other sites. We have moved him to a tank by himself with aeration & epsom salt. I am also going to try feeding him peas as was mentioned. My daughter is very attached to this fish, he came with the tank when we bought it. We have had no problems with any fish since we first got the hang of aquariums. When we first started we would buy too many at once & lose several. It was a beginner mistake. I have looked everywhere for information. I have found it could be a tumor, swim bladder (though my husband while I was away tried poking a hole in the bloated/swollen side of the poor fish to see if that would fix him. It didn't fix him or make him any worse!) or perhaps Dropsy. I would really like to do anything I can to help him recover if it is possible! He has a tank mate that came with him who seems so sad that his friend is ailing. It is a Ryukin. Any help anyone could give me would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kat

Unfortunately you seem to be doing everything you can. He may not recover. In breeding these types of goldfish they are not very strong or resilient. They get inbred and once they reach a damaged gene that looks neat (like bubble eyes) they then carry on breeding to keep that defect. Is he eating at all? If yes try feeding him some shelled green peas (cooked). This may help clear things. If he has stopped eating that's not good. Keep his water clean.I hope he makes it.

Unfortunately you seem to be doing everything you can. He may not recover. In breeding these types of goldfish they are not very strong or resilient. They get inbred and once they reach a damaged gene that looks neat (like bubble eyes) they then carry on breeding to keep that defect. Is he eating at all? If yes try feeding him some shelled green peas (cooked). This may help clear things. If he has stopped eating that's not good. Keep his water clean.I hope he makes it.

Thanks Qattarra! The Epsom Salt hasn't killed him yet. He didn't seem fond of the peas but, he finally ate one. I ahve also been giving him sinking pellet food pre soaked. He has a definite appetite. I have always looked on this as a good sign. Our daughter said she thinks his swelling has gone down slightly....I think it is wishful thinking as it hasn't been very long. Either that or I am just too pessimistic. I would rather look at the down side of this & be surprised if he makes it. I guess I won't be disappointed that way. He seems to have spent more time right side up since being moved to the hospital tank. His friend is very lonely now though & seems to keep looking for his friend in the aquarium. If he makes it it will be great for the other big guy. If he doesn't make it I don't know how long this other fish will hang out for. He is the only big fish in an aquarium of small tropicals! Only time will tell. I will keep you posted as to whether he makes it or not. Kat

You have them in with tropicals? What is the water temperature? If the water is too warm it can lead to health issues as the carp family are cold water fish.

You have them in with tropicals? What is the water temperature? If the water is too warm it can lead to health issues as the carp family are cold water fish.

I understand about the heating issue. I have not added the heater to the tank. All the fish seem to get along with room temperature. It is at the higher end for the big guys & the low end of the necessary temp for the tropicals. The tropicals seem to not mind the cooler temperature. We have had several breed in this temperature even. They have all lived at this temperature for a couple years now with no troubles. Thanks for the info Sam.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just an update on the Oranda!

He eats like a pig! Any time food is added to the tank he swarms to it. I thougt maybe he wasn't getting enough but, it doesn't matter how often I feed him one, two, three times a day he stills goes directly to the food. I guess that is a good sign. I checked with a pet store in Calgary that sells fish. The guy I normally deal with their said if he was going to get better he should have by now. I have now noticed an ulcerated type mark on his swollen side. I am starting to think tumor though our daughter doesn't want to go their right now. He has been in epsom salt hosp. tank for two weeks & has showed no signs of difference. He is still sometime right side up & sometimes upside down. He sometimes seems to rally like he might be coming around but................! If he doesn't get better he will always have a home until he is no longer with us & then he will have a home in the flower bed. Again........if anyone has any info they can suggest or recommend it would be appreciated. I talk to him several times a day when cleaning or just hanging out by myself at home. Thanks everyone! Kat

• 3 weeks later...

Well the big guy is still with us but, no signs of improvement! I am thinking he is terminal. After 5 weeks in a hospital tank I just don't have the heart to keep him by himself any longer. I returned him to the main tank this evening. I figure if he is terminal he may as well enjoy the remainder of his life & swim in the big tank. I want him to enjoy what ever amount of time he has left. He swam around for the first little while & then decided it was time for a rest. Upside down again of course. Our daughter is upset & thinks I am giving up on him! I haven't given up I just want him to enjoy his life & not be all alone anymore. I will still keep feeding peas into the tank. He has really learned to enjoy them. I think some of the other fish will find them tasty too. I buy zucchini on a regular basis & the fish in the tanks go absolutely nuts over it. I had an argument in the tank one night as several of them decided it was theirs! What a sight to see. Lily our female swordtail won that round. She is not the biggest fish in the tank but, she has the largest attitude!!!! Thanks to all who helped with information, etc. Kat

Okay time to end this post unfortunately....Bubby's Fish died Monday night. Hubby was good guy & went out in the middle of the night & dug a deep hole & we burried him. It was a promise I made to our daughter. She cried in the morning when she realized that he was gone. He put up a really good fight but, I noticed on Saturday night when feeding he would not eat anymore. I knew the time was near. She now picks fresh flowers every morning to put on his grave. She even has friends on the bus that have been picking boquets to add to his grave. RIP Bubby's Fish! You were great!!!!