Hydrometer

Beermaster

Make sure that the hydrometer is well rinsed...sometimes the salt builds up...but yours is new right?! in that case what kind of salt are u using...marine or aquarium salt? hydrometers are pretty good indications of salinity but if you want accurate readings...purchase a refractometer.

"Refractometers are precision optical instruments designed to measure the concentration or mixture ratio of water soluble. HandHeld Refractometers provide with a direct reading of the scales and have been professionally designed for testing of concentration of many kinds of solutions. ATC Refractometers automatically compensate temperature changes so the user can just drop a few drops of solution and read it easily."

check this ebay...45 bucks for it or shop around...GL

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ssPageName=WDVW

js

EDIT: it takes about 1 cup of marine salt to raise the sg of 5 gallon of water to 1.005

Edited by fatpuffer

Long shot but...

On my hydrometer (cant remember maker off hand) the little sponge/ballast pellet would pop out of the arm every now and then and the arm would never rise no matter how much salt there was

Would recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer any day

If you need something in a pinch you can borrow my old hydrometer calibrated against the refractometer

Edited by BlkWolfe

Personally never liked CoraLife Deep Six hydrometers due to inconsistencies in readings. Now that the Aquarium Products hydrometer is following the same foot steps I have encountered the same probelms.

A refractometer will be the best investment or the TropicMarin glass bobbing hydrometer. I have both and they read exactly the same. If you're Mr/Miss/Mrs butter fingers, get the refractometer as the TM hydrometer will set you back $40. The cheapest refractometer I have found was here and I have ordered from them.

Refractometer

JM2C & HTH

Wilson