DIY drop checker

devocole

Here is a picture of my DIY drop checker. I don't like the look of those bulby glass ones. I saw the plans for this one and gave it a try. I made it out of acrylic. The first one i made i used silicone, but soon realized that acrylic and silicone aren't the best mix. Then i bought acrylic epoxy from the dollar store and made it much better. I thought about where to buy acrylic sheets, but realized i had plastic picture frames. If you just score the plastic with a knife it breaks cleanly. Total cost was a buck. And i prefer a boxy look too.

Regards

Devon

post-3191-1208910610_thumb.jpg

Edited by devocole

The dimensions are 7cm length, 5cm height, 3 width.

A drop checker holds a PH indicating liquid with distilled water in an interior compartment of the device which is separated from the aquarium water by air/gas. CO2 will dissolve out the aquarium water and "float" or equilibrate into the indicator solution. It really has to do with equilibrium. The CO2 content in the drop checking liquid will be approximately the same as in the aquarium. Its a kind of real time measurement of CO2 in your tank.

Regards

Devon

A drop checker holds a PH indicating liquid with distilled water in an interior compartment of the device which is separated from the aquarium water by air/gas.

When I started using a red sea C02 indicator I just followed the directions included that told to use aquarium water to fill the unit. When you think about it... since we are measuring pH and how CO2 changes it... how can you use aquarium water without know the pH first (ie-if you had water lower than 6.0 pH, the C02 checker would be yellow even without adding any CO2. I now use a 4dKh solution made from baking soda and distilled water to fill the CO2 indicator. Here is a link where it was explained to me...

4dKh solution and CO2 drop checkers

Nice job on the DIY checker... :)

Edited by byte

Right on, thanks for the link. I did know that i had to do something with water hardness, and baking soda etc. But I haven't been at that point yet in my understanding. Just wanted to make the checker. LOL. I'll look more into it.

Regards

Devon