Red Jewels

frontosas

I cant believe it!! My breeding pair of Red Jewels just bred and the inside of thier bell is just plastered with eggs... I couldnt even start to count them... So guess what I will be getting rid of in a couple of months?? Do they usually lay so many eggs the first time??

One proud fish caregiver!!

Mine laid probably a good 100 eggs on their first go. We took them out because some of the other fish were chasing them away and eating the eggs. And we still managed to have about 70 fry survive. Just wait until their next batch, they will end up having more than that even :)

Mine laid probably a good 100 eggs on their first go. We took them out because some of the other fish were chasing them away and eating the eggs. And we still managed to have about 70 fry survive. Just wait until their next batch, they will end up having more than that even :)

No way!! Im taking them in to get fixed!!! LOL!! I put a tank divider up so they have no stress from the other fish...all my grow out tanks are being used from the other 5 batches of fry.... Looks like the LFS's will be over stocked on Red Jewels soon!!

No way!! Im taking them in to get fixed!!! LOL!! I put a tank divider up so they have no stress from the other fish...all my grow out tanks are being used from the other 5 batches of fry.... Looks like the LFS's will be over stocked on Red Jewels soon!!

I had a real scare when I got home from work today....I guess the eggs changed color and when I looked inside the bell today I couldnt see the eggs.... Now I am freaking!!! LOL) !! I lift the bell and shine a flashlight inside and the eggs are still there!! Thank god!! I thought the mother ate them all...She is alone with the eggs in a 33 gallon.I wasnt sure how or what the male would do... My poor heart has never beat so fast in my life!!

LOL, well don't worry, even if she ate the eggs this time there will always be another. It has been about a month now since mine laid their eggs. It took them about 5 days to hatch. I immediately started feeding them BBS and very very finely crushed flakes. Do you have a sponge filter in your tank? It is the best thing for when you have fry. I would suggest if you don't have one, go and buy one asap and stick the sponge in another filter on one of your tanks, this will help it build up some beneficial bacteria prior to putting it in the other tank. Yes Calgary will be swarmed with red jewels. You should post a picture of the parents, I would love to see them :) I hope mine don't decide to breed again anytime soon, or I will have to get them fixed too lol.