Aquagiant Sand

Does anyone have any comments and/or reviews on Aquagiant's black sand that sells for $30 for 22 lbs. The employee indicated it was good for planted tanks but he did not know who the manufacturer was. I'm thinking of having someone pick up some for me over the weekend. Is Seachem's black flourite a better bang for your buck. I'm not planning on planting this tank but unfortunately trying to get inexpensive black sand in Calgary is hopeless. If anyone has bought or used Aquagiant's product, pls let me know what you think.

Does anyone have any comments and/or reviews on Aquagiant's black sand that sells for $30 for 22 lbs. The employee indicated it was good for planted tanks but he did not know who the manufacturer was. I'm thinking of having someone pick up some for me over the weekend. Is Seachem's black flourite a better bang for your buck. I'm not planning on planting this tank but unfortunately trying to get inexpensive black sand in Calgary is hopeless. If anyone has bought or used Aquagiant's product, pls let me know what you think.

I have used aquagiant sand before without any issues...

big als has black sand as well but aquagiants was cheaper..

I have used aquagiant sand before without any issues...

big als has black sand as well but aquagiants was cheaper..

everything in his store is downright cheap. problem is its all from china, not exactly high on quality. i bought some offshore lights from him and there still going strong 4 months later. has anyone bought any of his monster tanks from him? just curious

I have the black "sand" in my tank. I was a bit disappointed that it's not really sand. It is more coarse and looks like very small shards of glass. I almost think it's black onyx. I cleaned it well and added it to my tank when I first set it up. I like the look of it in the tank. My fish dig and pick it up no problems. No injury to their mouths that I have noticed in about 4 months, despite it's apparent "sharpness". It's hard to tell what it really looks like through the bag, so maybe ask if you can see it and feel it in your hand first. Otherwise you may be dissapointed that its not really sand.

Hope that helps.

I can send you pics of it inmy tank if you want.

PM me.

I'm going to go with Carib Sea's tahitian moon sand as much as I don't like the $$.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I have the tahitian moon sand in one of my tanks. Very nice. Small particles, very fine. Only downside with it besides the $$$ is that it is very dusty and needs to be rinsed very well. I rinsed mine for about 2 hours and it still would not come absolutely clean.

Aquagiant black sand is great in planted aquaria, Also rinses clean very easy, don't hurt the fish and is easy to clean while in the aquarium (gravel sweep). Right now at the west end store until Sun. you can pick up a bag for $20.00/22lb bag.

Might want to call ahead, Don't know how many bags he has left.