flash chat

On some other forums i've seen that they have flash chats, and it generally helps the members of the board connect more, and for those who need help if there's anyone in the chatrooms to help out faster.

Just a thought, as it wouldn't be bad to get closer to our fellow AAer's.

I definitely agree, a chat room would be awesome here. I belong to another forum, but most members are in the states or overseas and although the live advice and connection with members is nice, it would be better if we could all connect with other fishkeepers in our locale.

Please, please, pretty please with a cherry on top, add a chat room to Alberta Aquatica!!!!!!!!!

I think it would be a good addition also, it would clear up a lot of chatter that the mods frown upon

I'm not up on this. What exactly is flash chat?

One thing I said when I started as Technical Admin on this forum three years ago, was that I would never do a chat. I'm not about to change that policy. Chat would require a third-party application to run on our site, and access your membership info. We spend a good fistfull of dollars each year to Invision to provide a secure home, and we'll expand the forum within the content available from them, and their supported platform.

I have other reasons for being opposed, but the site security is strong enough that I can stand on that one and make my fight.

Just use MSN, please. There is a thread running with the addresses of a good number of us.

Another alternative is to have or start an IRC channel for the board. It would perhaps be a good compromise, as it would accomplish what MSN does but have a bit more permanence/location like a chat room, but relies on the user to have an IRC client on their machine, rather than the server.

The IRC channel name could be #albertaaquatica.

I deal with a daily onslaught of PMs and emails from users who have enough trouble handling the basic functions of this forum's software... Lord help me if I have to start providing help on IRC clients... this gig doesn't pay enough - mostly as I don't get paid at all.

It's a 'forum'... let's keep it a 'forum'... Want to chat? Meet for donuts at Aquarium Enthusiasts on Saturdays :thumbs: