Easy breeders?

Mandy

I am just curious to find out what the "experts" have found... If you were to breed something in a small tank (10 gal or so) that requires next to no human intervention, and can bring in a decent amount of cash (or LFS credit), what would it be?

I am thinking of giving a try at Cherry Shrimp and/or Mystery Snails. Although, my Thick-Lipped Gouramis spawned last night in my community tank so I figure I have to give them a shot in a breeding tank.

Any thoughts? What is easy, produce like crazy, and actually sell?

There isn't too much that will be easy to breed and sell. If its easy to breed usually the market is flooded so its hard to sell them or give them away, let alone make any money.

There is lots of fish that are easy to breed in a 10g without much intervention but for most fish you will likely also need a grow out tank to grow the babies out in, as adult fish eat babies.

I breed cherry shrimps in a 10g with great success. The selling market for them isn't as good as it was about a year ago but thats what happens with something easy to breed. All the people you sell too will soon be breeding them too, lol.

Edited by degrassi

• 2 weeks later...
I am just curious to find out what the "experts" have found... If you were to breed something in a small tank (10 gal or so) that requires next to no human intervention, and can bring in a decent amount of cash (or LFS credit), what would it be?

I am thinking of giving a try at Cherry Shrimp and/or Mystery Snails. Although, my Thick-Lipped Gouramis spawned last night in my community tank so I figure I have to give them a shot in a breeding tank.

Any thoughts? What is easy, produce like crazy, and actually sell?

Red Jewels!! I have a pair that breed every 21 days.All I do is put in a plastic tube and away they go!! Oh I do feed them,and change the water every now and then.

In a 10 gallon, lets see my endlers seem to be an almost limitless supply of fry. My jewels and chromatilapadia guentheri (mouthbrooding kribs) also seem to spawn like clockwork but they would need bigger tanks. The endlers will do fine with the parents though. I haven't seen any of my parents eat their fry yet.

Other points against this idea have already been raised, another thing to consider is the amount of investment required to rear the offspring of your chosen 'cash cow'. You need to consider feeding and care costs, initial investment and potential returns. If you acquire a species solely to establish a revenue stream, chances are someone else has already done it and you are not going to see any actual profit, especially if you are only doing this on a small scale.

Thanks to all for the advice. :) I should have mentioned that firstly this is because I have some serious MTS and enjoy caring for aquatic life, and want to try my hand at breeding. I just want to choose something (or things) that would make some credit (to further fuel the MTS!) rather than me begging someone to take off my hands!