Oddball/community tank?

T&J

Fish noob here, just set up a 55G (48") freshwater tank. Doing a fishless cycle so I have lots of time to plan for my tank residents. My tentative plan is for the following:

1X Fire eel

3-4X Bala sharks

3-4X Angels

5-6X Swordtails

plus wood, live floating plants, etc and a couple of BN catfish for algae duty.

Now, I do have some concerns, foremost among them that the Bala sharks will outgrow the tank, and that the fire eel may not play well with others. There's a possibility that that swordtails may not grow fast enough to avoid being eaten by the eel, but I'm not certain about that.

Call me ambitious, but I'd appreciate any advice you might have for me. I haven't bought any fish yet so the community can be adjusted at will. The only fish that is non-negotiable is the eel, as I'm basically building the community around it.

Edited by T&J

Sounds like you've done some homework. Yes, the swords will be food for the eel. I would scratch the bala's and the swordtails and go with a larger barb or tetra. Maybe Congo Tetras. They are bigger than the swords, but still keep the aesthetic of having lots of movement. Or some Red-line (Indian Flasher) Barbs. Not as big as the bala's, but more colorful and still have that sharky look to them.