Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi

darkangel

Just wondering how long these gals hold the fry for, The last holding female went for 18 days and then croaked and the fry were still in her mouth, stone cold dead of course. I have another one in a seperate tank that is now 14 days and her head looks like it's ready to explode, Double chin is an understatement, more like double head. The male has popped another one today and is puting the chase on the last female of the group.

Just wondering how long these gals hold the fry for, The last holding female went for 18 days and then croaked and the fry were still in her mouth, stone cold dead of course. I have another one in a seperate tank that is now 14 days and her head looks like it's ready to explode, Double chin is an understatement, more like double head. The male has popped another one today and is puting the chase on the last female of the group.

My boyfriend had fish that held and he acully had to seprate her into another tank and then he would brush with his tiny finger and she would then spit them out it was so amazing how she would let him and only him do that..

No need to worry anymore, she just spit about an hour ago. Can.t get a good count but it looks like about 20 or 30 of the little buggers. Only problem now is evrytime I try to catch the female or siphon the fry she gobbles them right back up.

Wow, 20-30! Mine only had 13 :P How big are your adults?

She will probably keep sucking them into her mouth for a couple more days. They are better parents then mbuna and haps and won't eat the babies right away. Give the babies lots of hiding spots and after a few days when the mom stops sucking them up so fast, remove her.

Or if she sucks them into her mouth, you can always just strip the fry from her. It would be easier then waiting and trying to catch them.

Edited by degrassi