skimmers

Asked this same question on other page . got new 150 gal tank coming in few weeks , want to know everyones thoughts on

skimmers ( brand , type , size ) that kind of thing . Like to get different experiences to help find good quality skimmer

so many kinds to look at ????????????? what do you all like or dislike . thanks

How big is the sump, and how much clearance do you have vertically? The best skimmers are often tall, and have a bit of a large footprint.

How big is the sump, and how much clearance do you have vertically? The best skimmers are often tall, and have a bit of a large footprint.

The trouble is that im not sure , the sump is 33'' by 18" by 12" and the stand is 33" high . I ordered this tank from tenacor but I

forgot to get more details on the sump that they are going to supply . And here is a dumb question , Im going with an

artifaical reef system , so do I really need a skimmer ???????????? . The reason Im going with fake coral is last year my

son went on holiday to the caribbian and went scuba diving , the tour guy took them to 2 reefs ,1 that was protected and

the other was not . The unprotected reef had been picked clean of allmost all of its coral ( just rock left ) while the

protected reef was full of coral and inverts, fish you name it . So my wife and I decided to go with living color reef system .

we have a 24 gal nano with coral ( i like it but after what my son saw ) we want to go with fake in the 150 gal tank .

so thanks again for your help any other suggetions would be great .

The coral does not generally do anything to mess your water in comparison to fish. Personally I would say you need a skimmer no matter what is in your sw tank, but that is only my opinion and others may have a differing view. If you stocked lightly you could probably get away with a large filter, but you will need to stay vigilant in doing water changes regularly and keep the filter cleaned.

The Euroreef is a really nice model and is what I will be running on my 120g, and I have also heard good things about the ASM skimmers. Octopus is a relatively newer skimmer you can also consider which is not in the super high $$$ range (unlike the mini bubbleking which while said to do a great job is very pricey). You can choose the regular model or go more pricey with a recirculating skimmer. Recirculating ones just basically do a better job due to increased time with the bubbles to get coated with crud (I think...) but are a lot more expensive and in some case can be just plain overkill. The Euroreef RS180 should do a good job on that tank. (note: i saw one fs in canreef from saskatoon) If you are planning on stocking quite heavily you may want to overskim to compensate and go with a more uber model.

I am unsure which skimmer would fit in your sump, but you can find measurements on the respective sites of the manufacturers. If you want a particular larger skimmer that won't fit another option would be to plumb a line into and out of the skimmer and just put the skimmer somewhere else (on the floor, beside the tank, wherever).

Edited by sharuq1

Instead of an artificial reef why not set out to buy only aquacultured corals. They are readily available as frags and usually not too expensive, depending on what you are buying. Lots of reefers frag and grow out corals to trade with others for frags. While the parent colony came from the ocean the offspring don't, still a bit of impact on the reefs but no where near as big.

As for a skimmer buy the best and biggest you can afford. Most of the cheap ones cause problems, but they are fun to tinker with. It's less expensive to buy a good one to start out than it is to upgrade several times, IMHO.

HTH

Thanks for the info guys and gals

I cant find the deminsions on tenecors site for the sump that I purchased , so I will wait untill it arrives then go from their .

As for the fake coral , we already ordered a reef system from living color ( but there is still room in the tank for live rock and coral )

The skimmers that you mentioned ( euro reef and asm ) seem to be the choice that most of the people seem to recommend .

As we have invested a fair amount of money in the tenecor tank and sump system I dont see a reason to use a cheap skimmer .

so Im going to do what I did with my cichlid tanks , more is better than not enought , in other words I will buy a skimmer that is

maybe one size bigger than what i might need , just to be on the safe side . We have had good luck with our africans over the

years by having lots of filtration ( good old TLC ) and good cleaning habits . The result is our africans are happy,healthy and

making lots of little africans LOL . Thank you again for the help and input . BOOOOOOMER .

Just a side note. The Euroreef skimmers have a "zero clearance" collection cup. Meaning you dont need space above the skimmer to lift the collection cup up and off the skimmer body. It has a locking collar that you twist open, then slide the collection cup to the side to remove it. This can make a huge difference, as space is usually at a premium in most stands.

Just a side note. The Euroreef skimmers have a "zero clearance" collection cup. Meaning you dont need space above the skimmer to lift the collection cup up and off the skimmer body. It has a locking collar that you twist open, then slide the collection cup to the side to remove it. This can make a huge difference, as space is usually at a premium in most stands.

Thanks again fishy , This forum seems to be the best at finding out what to purchase as the LFS seem to each have their own ideas

and products to sell even if what their selling isn't what would best suit the customer or the type of tank we have . I find that talking to

other people in the hobby is the best source for info . I have been to GOLDS,ELITE,WEI'S,OCEANCITY,PISCES,RIVERFRONT just about

every store in calgary and they all have their own reasons to buy their product . so I'm going to wait till the tank and stand arrive's

to see how much room I have to play with . But like I said it seem's that euroreef seems to be a real favorite with a lot of people .

Thank's again

Thanks again fishy , This forum seems to be the best at finding out what to purchase as the LFS seem to each have their own ideas

and products to sell even if what their selling isn't what would best suit the customer or the type of tank we have . I find that talking to

other people in the hobby is the best source for info . I have been to GOLDS,ELITE,WEI'S,OCEANCITY,PISCES,RIVERFRONT just about

every store in calgary and they all have their own reasons to buy their product . so I'm going to wait till the tank and stand arrive's

to see how much room I have to play with . But like I said it seem's that euroreef seems to be a real favorite with a lot of people .

Thank's again

Another side note. I work at Red Coral aquarium. A good friend of mine bought it and recently took over. We are in the middle of a huge store clean up and re-organization. Our policy will be to provide the reefer with the most accurate advice possible, even if that means we lose a sale.

Thank's again

Another side note. I work at Red Coral aquarium. A good friend of mine bought it and recently took over. We are in the middle of a huge store clean up and re-organization. Our policy will be to provide the reefer with the most accurate advice possible, even if that means we lose a sale.

LOL well I guess that I have not been to all the stores in calgary ( excuse me while I pull my foot out of my mouth ) .

please tell me how to find your store .

• 5 months later...

Thank's again

I have to agree with your statement boomerbob. I have been to Red Coral Aquarium now a few times and have never been steered wrong or have experienced any pressure sales. My first time there I was impressed with the variety of corals and frags that are avalable. I think this was on my third or fourth visit there I decided to hold off on any purchases and Kevin (the owner) who I had done business with in the past visits assured me I was making the right decision to hold off on purchasing anything I would not be %100 satesfied with. This was a great feeling as I am still new to the marine aspect of aquariums. I have been in the Marine aquarium hobby for three months now and the products recommended by Red Coral Aquarium have been only beneficial to my tank and corals.

As my experience has it's limitations due to not being in the Marine hobby for a long time I have always felt comfortable with the service, advice, and quality of goods that RCA have provided to me thus far.

My marine setup is a 100 gallon tank, 30 gallon sump, cpr protein skimmer,25 watt protein skimmer, 100 pounds of live rock (give or take), hard and soft corals, and about 14 fish, 5 snales, blue leg crabs, and a white spotted anemone crab, and 2 anemonies. I have had no problems with any of the products and livestock I purchased from (RCA) unlike other stores I have purchased from where all of the staff has a different opinion on what is compatible in the tank. I bought a nice bubble tip anemone and hard coral from another store and the coral died within 3 days of being in my tank, the anemone died right around the same time. I have not had this problem with any of the purchases from (RCA) and feel comfortable with the quality that is provided from there.

I am not pushing anything on anyone but as a newb to the Marine aspect it is good to know there is an honest business out there who is not just out there to make a quick buck to have an unhappy customer.

Rick.

Thank's again

LOL well I guess that I have not been to all the stores in calgary ( excuse me while I pull my foot out of my mouth ) .

please tell me how to find your store .

Hi fishytime, Red Coral Aquarium is located at:

Unit 118, 3604 - 52 Av NW

They are just north of Northland Mall.

403 338 1880

From my past visits, they have an excellent variety of soft and hard corals, and a smaller variety of fish. All very good health.

• 2 months later...

I Thought I would share these thoughts for anyone else buying skimmers. In the past I started with a 90 gallon tank, moved to a 180g and a 135g running off a shared sump. Currently I just have the 180 and a 90g sump. I am in process of installing a 400g with a 135 sump.

I started with an ASM400Gplus which is very similar (identical?) to the Euroreef but made of a thinner and cheaper acrylic than the Euroreef so about half the price but you have to be careful you don't break it. It worked OK but it was hard to keep it at the optimal level and the level control mechanism is not that accurate (output tube that slides up and down). You can mod the outlet to add a gate valve (which you might consider with the Euroreef as well). I never got around to this. The collection cup was broken during my move to Calgary (move insurance covered this but I haven't replaced it yet)

I added a Tunze DOC 9020 when I went to the two larger tanks. The Tunze is very compact and meant to handle up to 528 US gallons (marketing claim). This skimmer was twice the price of the ASM and looking at it you wonder how it could keep up but it works very well, and is very compact and is very easy to adjust. I do not fiddle with settings for this unit after cleaning. It is very easy to use. It is also small enough that when I want to give it a thorough cleaning I just put it into a bucket with some vinegar and water and let it run overnight. The only problem is that it doesn't do a great job of gas exchange just because of its small size.

Finally I have a 5 foot tall dual injector custom built skimmer. This is an external skimmer that I run off a panworld ps200 high presure pump. This skimmer is very powerful and allows level adjustments with the gate valve on the output and air control on each injector. This does a great job of skimming and the gas exchange is unmatched. It is very tall, loud, requires a powerful pump, the injectors need periodic cleaning and I also find it is as difficult to control the level of the skimmer as with the ASM. It cost me $500 for the skimmer (it was used from a marine fish store that upgraded their in-store skimmers) plus about $300 for the pump.

In the future, if I have a fish room for equipment I would always get the biggest tallest skimmer I could find as the performance is really terrific. If I was forced to put my equipment in a cabinet I would go with the Tunze. I don't think I will ever go back to the ASM/Euroreef style skimmer. Possibly if it was a large cabinet I would try an Octopus style recirculating skimmer to improve on the gas exchange.

I hope this helps someone save some money in the future!

Jeff

• 5 months later...