Wiggling Molly

smithj427

I came home tonight to find one of my dalmation mollies wiggling like crazy. I've noticed over the last week or so this molly is bigger than the other two so I figured she might be pregnant. (I bought three females about a month ago and read they can store sperm or something for a while so they can be pregnant for quite a while without a male).

Anyways she's currently sitting at the top of my take just rapidly wiggling but not going anywhere. Does anyone know what's going on? Sometimes when she passes by the light she looks like she might be fuzzy but it's hard to tell since she's a dalmation.

Oh and while we're at it is it normal for dalmation mollies to have a few flecks of a kind of gold colour on them? All three of mine seem to or is this something I should be worried about?

I'm going to try to net all the mollies tomorrow for a closer inspection. Thanks for the help

Jordon

What temperature is your tank at? any salt in the water?

If you look up care of mollies on line, somewhere in the info will refer to Molly shimmies. Some claim that they will shimmy when the temperature is low, and others claim because of lack of salt in the water. Most agree that the temperature should be 77 - 82 F and 1 tsp of aquarium salt per imperial gallon.

I am no expert on mollies, so I hope there is someone on the forum who is.

By the way welcome! :welcome: Check out this thread http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=19050

Edited by gobies et al

Well my tank's temp is at a relatively constant temp of 80-81.5. I also have some salt in the water, not 1 tsp per gallon but still there is salt in there. All day so far though she's stopped wiggling so I don't know maybe it's not such an emergency after all.\

Jordon