Small filter/heater combo...

Calab

I have a few small bowls here that would be good for holding a betta. My only problem is that they are round. There is no front or back, so trying to hang a filter or heater is impossible.

Does anyone know of a heater/filter that one could use is such a bowl?

I don't think they make any for bowls, just for the reason that most of the time people put a goldfish or bettas in them. For a betta you don't absolutely need to have a filter, I know my guy hated the filter he had because it made a current which they don't typically like. I would just suggest buying a small heater, and trying to somehow suction it to the glass at an angle. That is definitely a question I am sure not many people have thought about. That is all I can suggest.

You can get some very small submersible heaters that are OK in bowls as long as you can find something attractive to do with the cord. I had been using Red Sea Nano filters with my bettas, but I've switched to DIY sponge filters, and with the air on low it seems to work out OK.

The design for my sponge filters:

Some half-inch or so rigid plastic tubing, about the same length as the water is deep,

jammed into

A chunk of sponge (I used a generic refill for a smallish Aquaclear)

weighted down with some rocks.

Boggle at the hi-tekk awesomeness! (not!)

You can get some very small submersible heaters that are OK in bowls as long as you can find something attractive to do with the cord. I had been using Red Sea Nano filters with my bettas, but I've switched to DIY sponge filters, and with the air on low it seems to work out OK.

The design for my sponge filters:

Some half-inch or so rigid plastic tubing, about the same length as the water is deep,

jammed into

Do Betta's even need a heater or Filter. I have had them and never used either!! Maybe they need them and I didnt know and thats why they are no longer with me????

Do Betta's even need a heater or Filter. I have had them and never used either!! Maybe they need them and I didnt know and thats why they are no longer with me????

They don't /need/ them, but they sure seem to prefer them. Especially if the place you are keeping them is on the cool side, since they are tropical after all. (Before I knew about heaters, I kept mine at home without and lost them during a cold snap when my apt's heating took some time to catch up with the weather.)

jammed into

LOL!

I think I'll try something like this for a filter, but use 3/4" vinyl tubing so I can bend it to fit the shape of the bowl.

As for a heater, I have a heating pad that does a good job when I'm using my hospital "tank"... A bit big for the bowl I'm thinking of though. I was hoping for a small pad that I could sit the bowl on, kinda like a coffee cup heater.