VERY Cool!!

Slough Shark

As I was mowing the lawn today, I saw a little spider jump onto the bag of the lawnmower. As scared as I am of spiders, I forced myself to capture this little guy and get a few shots. I was definitely pretty squirrelly when I was shooting, since I've seen how far these guys can jump- and how fast they are! But it was very worth it to get these pics. I know it's pretty goofy to be afraid of something so small, but there's just something about them... I don't know, but they creep me out!

When I was done getting pics I tried to move him to the neighbors lawn so I could finish mowing. I used a piece of grass to edge him onto a leaf, after a while he got fed up and bit the grass- now I know these guys must be very fierce in the bug world. I actually had a bit of a tug-o-war with the spider until he decided to drop the grass.

Anyways, here are the pics. I've narrowed it down to a genus name (if anyone knows sp. please let me know):

Phidippus sp. (Jumping Spider)

487_87682b.jpg

Look at the nice yellow colouration

487_87612b.jpg

And the iridescent sheen on the mandibles (sorta tough to see)

Phidippusspb.jpg

That's all for now!

Taylor

• 2 months later...