starting a new 80 gallon planted...

Ross

hey im starting a new 80 gallon aquarium and im basicly wondering what would be some good plants to use in a set up...and whats a good set-up lol...and if theres any donations id gladly accept those too :P....and i have no clue what to really use for lighting...i just got the stock flouresent on there right now and its only 38 watts, will i need c02? or fert?

Edited by Ross

For starters, you'll probably want a lot more light on that tank. 38W on an 80gal is extremely low lighting and will leave you with very few plant options. CO2 and ferts aren't usually necessary until you start getting into higher light levels.

If you're going to really go for the plant thing, you'll need to be shelling out for some new equipment. Since the tank is probably pretty deep, check out some of the more powerful lighting options like T5HOs or compact fluorescents. Once you find a lighting solution that you like (and can afford), then consider CO2. If your lighting is 2.5wpg (watts per gallon) or greater, you'll likely need to supplement CO2. A tank that size will require a pressurized system (add another couple hundred $$ or more). Still want a planted tank? The setup you have chosen will determine what plant species you will be able to choose from.

Here are some great articles to read over: Planted Tank Beginner Basics

It is true you should get a pressurized system for tanks over 40 gallons, though I have 3 separate canisters for the yeast method on my 90 gallon, which produces enough CO2 for the plants I do have. Werner is very informative on planted tanks, so I would take his advice. I think depending on how serious you want to get into planted tanks, will also depend on what you will need. If you are looking to throw just a few easy plants in to grow, you may not need much. But when seriously considering a "well" planted tank, you will also need to consider what you will use as a substrate. My first advice would be to look at different plants you like and would be wanting to try. Then research them and find out the requirements for those plants, if they don't suit your needs, or budget, then they are not for you. You can get easier plants that grow fast like wysteria, or ones like java ferns or java moss, which are all easy for the beginner.