Should I bother with a sump now?

I've got an established 55g tank with no sump. am running 2 filters and wouldn't mind getting rid of them in place of a sump. Is there a way i can do so without spending a whole lot of money on overflow box and without drilling. I tried to do one before and used my skimmer as a return pump and I started a siphon as the suction, but was worried about one failing and causing a big mess, and my skimmer was not actually skimming anymore. Any ideas?

I've got an established 55g tank with no sump. am running 2 filters and wouldn't mind getting rid of them in place of a sump. Is there a way i can do so without spending a whole lot of money on overflow box and without drilling. I tried to do one before and used my skimmer as a return pump and I started a siphon as the suction, but was worried about one failing and causing a big mess, and my skimmer was not actually skimming anymore. Any ideas?

easy to make, works very well

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=15733

easy to make, works very well

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=15733

Thanks, now what size to make all the piping? Smallest I can get that PVC is like 3/4".

Guess I shoulda read further down.......1" is what they are using:D. Anyone know about what type of pump I should use, would a pond pump work?

depends on the pumps flow rate.. I use 1 1/2" pvc with a 450-500 gph pump... no problems

if your pumps flow is more than the pipe can handle ,, just make 2 overflows, one for each side of the tank..

• 2 weeks later...