Jaguar agression unleashed

Ryan Mahe

So, today my jaguar decided he didnt want to be dominated by 2 oscars any more, and went mideval on my entire tank lol, everyone was cornered as he repeadedly attacked by ramming from the opposite corner at full speed. I reorganized my entire tank, and the rage seems to be over but maybe i'll have a jaguar only tank fairly shortly..... big fish sale down at my place haha. Any advice?

How big are they all? What size of tank?

all fish are about 11" ... tanksize is 120gallons, after rearranging my decor no aggression since it happened... so maybe i just have to keep switching up the territories every so often to keep agression down.

I never thought of that, but yeah in the summer months the temps increase in our tanks, unless you're lucky and have AC lol. So what probably happened is when the temp increased it caused them to be more aggressive. I know too if fish are hungry they will also be more aggressive. Hopefully you won't have to keep rearranging your tank, but if you do, once a month should be plenty :) Good luck and hope everything works out!!

Its really odd actually, I think that i've figured it out.... While the tank lights are on and its bright my oscars run the show, chase and push my jag around often.... but once the lighting dies down, just enough so i can see in the tank... it is the total opposite... not just a one time thing either, ive tried this about 3 times tonight changing it up to see if i was right, same thing happened every time. Seems like my jag shows his personality when the lights go out, has anyone heard of this before?

I don't think DP Guy meant decrease the temperature because of the temperature increase in summer. Fish activity slows as temperature dcreases, so this is an effective means of reducing aggression in a tank.

But I'd say it's more of a band-aid solution.

I didn't really mean that either. I meant that the temps in our tanks often do increase in the summer. So that increase on top of having the heater set for the regular temp, will all increase the tank temp and therefore cause the fish to be more aggressive. If you turn the heater down lower in the summer, during the day the tank is heating up, but since it has time to cool off at night, it takes alot more to raise the heat so high during the day, therefore your temperature will not hit extremely high levels, which can also cut down on aggression. I think it sort of refers to what he means. If his tanks are kept in a cooler location, then all he has to do is lower the temp and that will cause the fish to become less active and less aggressive. The first part does not come into play in the second situation. I always have to turn down my tank temperature in the summer because I live in an upstairs suite, and it can sometimes get darn hot in here.

Yes Ryan I have seen it before in my fish. There are many nocturnal fish that do all of their hunting and stuff at night. Since your jag and oscars are more nocturnal, and the jags are more aggressive than oscars, this is why he is probably bullying them. You might need to buy a larger tank if the aggression keeps up. It is pushing it with 2 oscars and a jag. I have seen jags over a foot long, and oscars about a foot before. He is probably trying to establish his own territory, since these fish usually need a larger territory. It probably didn't happen before because the fish were all smaller. I have also seen roles changed in my tanks from day to night. My BGK used to get pushed around and stuff by other fish during the day, all other fish were happy and swimming around. I had added some smaller cardinals to the tank, and all but 5 of them were gone in the morning. I knew it was the BGK because they are nocturnal hunters, and will prey on smaller fish. Hope this helps some!

Lol, now I am wondering if I should put my jag in a 125 gallon with my oscar I have, but I think it's better than being in a 90 with african cichlids. You could try about a 100 gallon for your 2 oscars. Just keep an eye on buy and sell for edmonton, kijiji and here. I have found these to be the best places to buy used tanks. Good luck with all of them :)

• 3 weeks later...
Its really odd actually, I think that i've figured it out.... While the tank lights are on and its bright my oscars run the show, chase and push my jag around often.... but once the lighting dies down, just enough so i can see in the tank... it is the total opposite... not just a one time thing either, ive tried this about 3 times tonight changing it up to see if i was right, same thing happened every time. Seems like my jag shows his personality when the lights go out, has anyone heard of this before?

my old jag was agressive as hell almost all the time, but in particular when the lights were out...i had to flick the light on a couple times while he was rampaging to save the other fish