Buying beef heart in bulk

I got some friends in meat processing, I could probably order a 60 lb case through them if a few people wanted to split it

That sounds awesome. I will check and see if anyone would want to go in on ordering some, can you find out how much they might charge for that much?

I think it can be as complicated or simple as you want... try not to be intimidated by it all. If you are looking at a recipe, you have to gauge if the accuracy is really that critical or is the writer just trying to communicate some guidelines for you to follow.

The hardest part (In my opinion) was getting rid of a lot of the tougher tissues in the heart. (Valves, vein, muscle linings) I would go nuts with a good sharp knife and cut out the good meaty parts. the rest got turfed. When I was doing this a good size heart would last me 6 months or so, and I wasn't really all that picky of efficient with all of it.

After you have the meat prepared, add what you want, blend and freeze. I really can't remember measuring anything when I would mix in flakes or veggies or anything else like that.

The more I would prepare my own beef heart, the more complicated it grew, because I was comfortable with the process and starting to get a bit more creative. If you want to try it, just start out with some beef heart and grind it up. Next time, try adding some of this or that...

We do this hobby for fun right?

Good thing I have a strong enough stomach to want to attempt to dissect a heart lol. Dissecting brains and eyeballs in biology really pays off :thumbs: I will most likely not follow the recipes to the exact ingredients. I will try and add some spirulina and stuff because I know it is beneficial to discus. Even if I do order a large amount of the stuff, I know it will not last forever in a freezer, so I can try to make a large batch of it and sell some to people if they are at all interested?