Calvus Have Bred!!!!

Noodles

Well my calvus have finally bred, I know that this is the easy part. I am just wondering how long to leave the eggs in the big tank? Some sites said to move the mother and the "shell" with the babies in it, and some said to move just the babies.

I've also read that you should wait 10 days then move the babies.

Is it best to have no substrate?

Can i put the babies in with some peacock babies once they are eating fine?

Thanks in advance for the advice/input!

Sheldon

Well my calvus have finally bred, I know that this is the easy part. I am just wondering how long to leave the eggs in the big tank? Some sites said to move the mother and the "shell" with the babies in it, and some said to move just the babies.

I've also read that you should wait 10 days then move the babies.

Is it best to have no substrate?

Can i put the babies in with some peacock babies once they are eating fine?

Thanks in advance for the advice/input!

Sheldon

No advice. Just wanted to say congrats on breading some great fish! **Cheers and goodluck**

Well I was getting a little nervous about fry getting eaten because some of them were wiggling right at the entrance to the shell. So I just took the shell out in a little bucket of water and slowly put the shell in my 20 gallon waiting for them. I flushed the fry out of the shell and it looks like about 2/3 of the eggs were unfertilized and were starting to go bad and there was also a couple fry that hatched and got stuck together and died. So it looks like there are about 20-30 little guys maybe 2 days from being free swimming, just wiggling around!!!! :thumbs: