Electronic Power Bars

Ph11p3540

I have invested some serious money in my home electronics and PC so protecting them with a really good power bar only makes sense since major power spikes and surges are getting common. After taking apart a really cheap power bar I found it only had a heavy wire with a few ceramic like lugs along its length going beside the curcit of plugs. One of the balls looked discolored. It was still passing power and the reset light still works but I know its not protecting if a flourecent ballast needs replacement after a couple of years.

I have three 48" Coral Life dual tube T5 luminares with electronic ballasts and they have lasted me four years with no problems. When I first purchased them I thought they were pricy enough to warrant a better power bar as used on my home theatre. I use an 8 outlet model from Monster Power for $80. Its got a really rock solid protection curcuit where each outlet is electrically isolated from each other so if a given light or electronic appliance is failing the others plugged in will not have thier lives shortened. Great for those Coral Life fixture that other people sometimes complain about failing after a couple of years.

Don't blame a bad batch of lighting units, blame the aging and overworked power infrastructue of your power company.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't blame a bad batch of lighting units, blame the aging and overworked power infrastructue of your power company.
it was a bad batch. go to mfk and you will see on one of thier threads its a north america and canada wide "bad batch". and if power surges are getting more common, they should consider that when making these products. JMHO :thumbs: