We're having babies!!

robin

My hubby mentioned to me today it looked like 2 of my Blue Rams were 'gettin frisky' in the plant this evening. Guess what?!?!?!? We have eggs!!

I have only had live bearers procreate........what do I do? They are in a 45 gallon with many, many other fish. It is 2 feet tall so I can't get a divider, says the guy at Big Al's....I want the babies! Rams and Loaches are my favorites, so this is really cool!

What do I do? Or...what do I not do? Someone help me out, from beginning to end please!!

Hi,

Don't know if this will work for blue rams but it worked for my angelfish. I would take out the plant leaf with the eggs and put it in a tank with just a sponge filter. Weighting down the leaf and having the sponge filter aimed at the eggs would help prevent fungus. After they had absorbed their egg sac, I fed brine shrimp. I managed to get several spawns out of my pair this way and my mortality rate was low. Good luck and hope this helps!!!

robin Posted Yesterday, 09:24 PM

They are in a 45 gallon with many, many other fish. It is 2 feet tall so I can't get a divider, says the guy at Big Al's....I want the babies! Rams and Loaches are my favorites, so this is really cool!

What do I do? Or...what do I not do? Someone help me out, from beginning to end please!!

I came across this on Aquabid and thought of your comment about dividers. It, or a copy of, wouldn't keep the babies where you want them, but an interesting DIY solution to some problems encountered in a large tank.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1221329409

thanks.......

looks like a genocide in the tank today. don't know what happened, we lost our little golden balloon ram, the platy's went crazy attacking my rams and ate the eggs, my poor rams were so stressed!! I got the platys out and into another tank quickly, but not fast enough. I don't know if there are any eggs left, will have to wait and see, but the rams are now wandering all around the tank....i am sad!!