stocking a 20 gallon

Wackinator

hey, i have a 20 gallon tank that has around 6 guppies, 3 neon tetras, and one albino cory

first of all i know that cories and neons are schooling fishes and im going to be getting atleast 2 more cory cats and 5 neons (possibly 8)

what im looking for is a fish that can be the centerpiece of the tank, i was thinking of a dwarf gourami but would neons be safe with it? or is there a better fish that that i should try?

any thoughts ideas and suggestions are welcome.

thanks

A dwarf gourami would be an excellent choice. I have two, a regular and a neon blue, in my 20G planted tank with a bunch of endlers and their fry. No problems whatsoever with compatability.

ye thanks i just wanted to make sure that some of my neons didnt start dissapearing and one more question would i be able to place a ram in there as well? or would that just create a problem or something?

GBRs are usually peaceful (unless they are spawning) so that shouldn't be a problem. They do prefer warmer water and will require pristine conditions to thrive.

hey thanks for your help

i went out and got a dwarf gourami from pisces and everything seems to be going great

thanks again

Ohh too bad. I wish I was online yesterday and seen this post.

Blackbelt: I live near pisces and seen what they call Dwarf Gouramis. They're not what I've seen from books and stuff. Now I'm not a pro by any means, but if you go to Big Al's on 32nd they've got (or had) some real nice Dwarf Gouramis there on the weekend. Nice blues and reds on them. Here's a pic of the one I got from there.

Male Dwarf Gourami

Much nicer than the ones at pisces IMO. Unless Pisces has changed their tank, the one you have is silvery blue coloured, right? But don't get me wrong, the gouramis at Pisces are nice too.

Ohh too bad. I wish I was online yesterday and seen this post.

Blackbelt: I live near pisces and seen what they call Dwarf Gouramis. They're not what I've seen from books and stuff. Now I'm not a pro by any means, but if you go to Big Al's on 32nd they've got (or had) some real nice Dwarf Gouramis there on the weekend. Nice blues and reds on them. Here's a pic of the one I got from there.

Male Dwarf Gourami

Much nicer than the ones at pisces IMO. Unless Pisces has changed their tank, the one you have is silvery blue coloured, right? But don't get me wrong, the gouramis at Pisces are nice too.

>.< oh lol well thanks anyways and ye when i went to pisces i was just about to walk out because they didnt have any good ones but then i went back in to get in a couple of guppies and saw this really awesome one so i got that one and its not that different from the one you sent the picture of cept yours has a lot more colour, how much did you get it for?

A bit of advice, you really should quarantine new fish for 4 weeks before adding them to your main tank. Especially if they are from a store.

ye lol i normally do qrauantine my fishes but only for a week or so and i didnt put him in straight into the 20 gallon i put him in the 10 gallon first which had a couple of guppies and some babies

Usually when people quarantine, they also treat them for things like worms and parasites. I usually QT my fish for around 2 weeks to make sure there are no other significant problems. Except I hardly ever QT fish I get from gold's, and they are usually the fish that survive most often (never had any problems with illness from any of their fish). The quality of the tanks at pisces has really gone downhill lately, and I don't know if I would trust just sticking those fish in my tanks. If you will be sticking them straight in, best to make sure there are no signs of illness in any other fish in the tank, if there is, don't buy them from there unless you will be QT.

Usually when people quarantine, they also treat them for things like worms and parasites. I usually QT my fish for around 2 weeks to make sure there are no other significant problems. Except I hardly ever QT fish I get from gold's, and they are usually the fish that survive most often (never had any problems with illness from any of their fish). The quality of the tanks at pisces has really gone downhill lately, and I don't know if I would trust just sticking those fish in my tanks. If you will be sticking them straight in, best to make sure there are no signs of illness in any other fish in the tank, if there is, don't buy them from there unless you will be QT.

ye there was no sign on sickness in his tank

he was kept seperate from the rest of the gouramis which is why i didnt see it first lol