33g Bowing

Shai

I noticed today that my 33g tank is bowing across the front. Not a whole lot (less than a centimeter at the worst point), but any bowing is worrisome.

When I was at an LFS yesterday I noticed they had a 40g in stock. It's 36"L, same as my 33g, but it's something like 18"W.

The stand I have my 33g on is only 13"W. It's this one:

img3037161med.jpg

The stand is wood. If I replaced the top of the stand with a new piece of wood that is, say, 19"W (or attached this piece of wood onto the existing surface) and positioned the new piece so an equal amount hung over the front and back (would be 3" on both sides), would the width of the 40g still be supported safely? I would be nice to add a few gallons for the stock I have in this tank since I need to replace the 33g anyway (and the 40g is short too, which I like)--but I'd rather not have to get a whole new stand to do it. : \

I would be carful I had a 29 split in half bottom corner to top corner. To be safe with any tank throw a piece of insulation Styrofoam underneath between tank and wood. make sure that the piece of wood that you have thrown on top is no week you do not want the base to bend. This will cause cracking of the tank.