HELLO KILLI

jewels

How often do you see killifish in your local pet stores? After diligently checking the pet stores time and again ,without luck,

I gave up and imported some a while back. All I have to show for that is a pile of fancy stamps, from a country I will never afford to visit.

I did find ( and buy) some on the seventh of Sept. I could barely recognize them on display (incorrectly labeled of course)

Perfectly plain, see through silver. Then the smallest flash of sunshine!! I recognized that fat little head immediately , after staring at it for two years on the internet. Demanding "Him" specifically I kindly asked for five more of the smaller, pale skizzos ; just to beat the odds.

And the beating time she come !!! - word to the wise- Don't mix big ignorant killis with smaller defenseless killis,, you know the rest

At this point I have two survivors in one community tank, and Mr " I'm really tough" is spending a little alone time in his private flat. A little plain at first but after almost two months now- I tell you what, he sure looks great !!

The dude at the store when I bought them told me they would not be bringing them in again. They were to pale and small to command much interest .

I think I will post a WTB. I know the golden wonder is the original and most common killi around but still-- I'm hooked.

post-3146-1225010705_thumb.jpg

Edited by jewels

Have you tried buying Eggs? I know nothing about Killies but it seems like that is how people trade their killies. I've seen Killies a few times at Nature's cornerstore. Since the eggs need to "dry" before hatching, its easier to ship them around.

Sorry about your bad luck with that store I'm sure a killie person will come around soon and answer it a bit better then I can.

Degrassi, it looks like we keep the same hours!

The eggs I brought in from Malaysia just didn't hatch. I blame no one . After researching I am thinking I should have soaked them sooner

The eggs I had were aplocheilus panchax. Fry can appear with parents in two weeks. That was one reason I was interested in them.

Things that do their own thing tend to fare better around here compared to the high maintenance individuals

I have half a dozen aquariums that almost take care of them selves ; and yet one wife almost seems to much to handle!

I have 2 pairs of the striatum killies, still waiting for them to breed. I have seen the golden wonder at petsmart by me, but hardly ever see any other breeds. The kind I have do not grow as large as the golden wonders and some of the others species, and I find them to not be too highly aggressive. I think killifish will be starting to show up more in stores because they are becoming more popular. If I see any other breeds around I will let you know, or if I can get mine to breed I can gladly sell you some of the eggs :)

I got my Killi's here in Leduc at PetsGO. They have them there all the time, saw some there 2 days ago. Mine are Golden Wonder, as well as the ones at the store. If there is a PetsGO in Med hat, maybe they buy from the same supplier?!?!

• 2 weeks later...