Help identifying hitchhiker

mothership

I'm new here so I just want to say hi.

Does anyone have any idea what this crab is. I've seen him only a couple of times since my tank has been set up and have finally been able to get a picture of it. On it's mandibles there are also the "netting" so it can eat plankton also but if you notice the one claw and the appendage at the end it sort of reminds me of a pistol shrimp.

PA242501.jpg

Thanks,

Wow. You got a Pom Pom crab as a hitchhiker? Too cool, they're really interesting little crabs. Incidentally, the "netting" is actually a type of anemone, the two have a nivce little symbiotic relationship going. If you're lucky the anemone will divide so he has one for his other claw too.

I've had my tank going since last December and only spotted him about a month ago after I decided to put the rock he was living in upside down as it looked more interesting. Since then I've only seen him 3 other times and this picture was the only time that I've had my camera around to get a photo. I didn't know about pom poms until yesterday, but everything I've been reading shows that they are cool little crabs.

I've had my tank going since last December and only spotted him about a month ago after I decided to put the rock he was living in upside down as it looked more interesting. Since then I've only seen him 3 other times and this picture was the only time that I've had my camera around to get a photo. I didn't know about pom poms until yesterday, but everything I've been reading shows that they are cool little crabs.

It's a really good picture of such a little critter too.