Favorite cleaner uppers for community planted tank

timmyg

I've never had any.

I think it's time.

In a 2.5 i used cherry shrimp.

I would have used them in the 33g if not for angels + gold gourami.

So i rely on snails at the way especially MTS.

I'd like to get something proper.

BBA problem maybe SAE?

But they'll eat my moss , so maybe not ...

Otos most likely.

there are some really cool pearl snails at Big Als right now.

size of zebra snails but in pearl white, with white heads too.

Do you know what species of snails these are? One thing to keep in mind is some snails will eat plants. But there are alot that won't. Try even larger shrimp like ghost shrimp and whisker shrimp. I also hear amano shrimp are pretty good. I have had no luck keeping smaller shrimp species in with fish, even tetras. They always end up being snacks for the fish. What fish do you have in this tank?

there are some really cool pearl snails at Big Als right now.

size of zebra snails but in pearl white, with white heads too.

Do you know what species of snails these are? One thing to keep in mind is some snails will eat plants. But there are alot that won't. Try even larger shrimp like ghost shrimp and whisker shrimp. I also hear amano shrimp are pretty good. I have had no luck keeping smaller shrimp species in with fish, even tetras. They always end up being snacks for the fish. What fish do you have in this tank?

ya, i don't know what species they are or compatibility with a planted tank. I have held off on buying them because my 90 gal tank doesn't have much algae in it cause its a new setup.

I do know that the ramshorn snails from big als destroyed my plants in the 20 gal... bought algae wafers so they would focus on those. big als staff said that if they had enough algae they shouldn't eat the plants.

bought 6 ottos from sigh petsmart or fishstupid as it should be called.. so far 1 has died hopefully the other 5 will pull through. I don't know why but ottos do not to fare to well at big volume pet stores in terms of their health.

Id say Ottos are my one of my favorit cleaner uppers because of their size, swimming action, and community playfullness but that they are not the hardiest fish...

after the initial stage they get past that.

Mainly because most otto's are wild caught ...

Its not directly due to being wild caught...

As a by-product of being Wild-caught and being vegetarians, they don't get enough food between catching and arrival in the stores (as a means of reducing Ammonia in the travel process) and then arriving at stores with bare tanks gives them little to no algae to eat either, so we get fairly starved fish.