Favorite cleaner uppers for community planted tank

timmyg

Everyone have favorite snails, shrimps, or bottom feeders that do the various clean up duties in their tanks?

for my small tank I really like the cherry shrimp and otocinlcus.

I have owned glass shrimp but they were unappreciated from the viewing perspective cause they were so dang hard to find.

snails - golden & blue mystery snails are readily available so that is all I have been exposed to.

Im sure there are some extermely vibrant patterned snail shells in some of your tanks.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are a must have, IMO. From there, sky's the limit! I've often used BN Plecos, Otos, cherry and Amano shrimp, and sometimes SAE.

what do you use to keep the trumpet population in check?

I have used pea puffers however they can be mean little buggers to my other fish so I would prefer another way keeping the trumpets in check, or eliminating the trumpets altogether.

what do you use to keep the trumpet population in check?

I have used pea puffers however they can be mean little buggers to my other fish so I would prefer another way keeping the trumpets in check, or eliminating the trumpets altogether.

For my Snails I keep one tank with a group of clown loaches. Once a week or so I pick out snails and throw them into their tank! They get to eat and the snails are gone rather quickly! On that note if anyone has extra trumpet snails I will take them. For cheap or free I would be happy to cull someones herd if they need it.

Edited by MarkN

In my planted I have all sorts of clean up crew. A clown pleco, SAE's, ghost shrimp, otocinclus....and even a dwarf frog that comes out every now and then lol (don't know how he has managed to survive all this time). I also like zebra snails cause the only way to populate is brackish water, and they don't get out of control. Otherwise I do have trumpets in my sandy tanks and some mystery snails in others. I also like BN's and other types of shrimp.

The only way I've had Trumpets get out of control was in fry tanks where I fed heavily - probably over fed, actually. Otherwise, they seem to stay in check by themselves.

• 2 months later...