Tiger Barb breeding

Ruadh

When a Tiger Barb drops her eggs, are the eggs fertilized on the bottom or just as they're being dropped?

I was thinking of using "egg crate" on the bottom of the breeding tank in order to save more eggs from being eaten before I get the adults out.

Thankx

When a Tiger Barb drops her eggs, are the eggs fertilized on the bottom or just as they're being dropped?

I was thinking of using "egg crate" on the bottom of the breeding tank in order to save more eggs from being eaten before I get the adults out.

Thankx

No body knows????

• 2 weeks later...

Thankx

No body knows????

I am no expert but i think the idea is to have gravel that is quite large, pea size or a little larger

then as the eggs are dropped they fall into the gravel where the other fish cant get them.

if you have a pair the male should be there at the time the eggs are dropped and he should be doing his

job.

now the eggs might be safe in the gravel until you go to clean the gravel, or till they hatch and swim up and out

into the mouths of the other fish in the tank..

not sure if i am much help I have no experience with spawning tiger barbs at all, i do have about 8 of these mad

little racers in my 80 gal tank:)

later

matt

Thankx

No body knows????

I am no expert but i think the idea is to have gravel that is quite large, pea size or a little larger

then as the eggs are dropped they fall into the gravel where the other fish cant get them.

if you have a pair the male should be there at the time the eggs are dropped and he should be doing his

job.

now the eggs might be safe in the gravel until you go to clean the gravel, or till they hatch and swim up and out

into the mouths of the other fish in the tank..

not sure if i am much help I have no experience with spawning tiger barbs at all, i do have about 8 of these mad

little racers in my 80 gal tank:)

later

matt

Hi Matt

I don't want to have to re-scape the tank I want to use, so I thought I'd use the 'egg crate' and raise it off the bottom an inch or so. That way the eggs will fall through and the big fish won't be able to get at them. Hopefully, that would save the eggs till I get home and take the big fish out.

Thankx for answering.

Rick

Edited by Ruadh

Hi Matt

I don't want to have to re-scape the tank I want to use, so I thought I'd use the 'egg crate' and raise it off the bottom an inch or so. That way the eggs will fall through and the big fish won't be able to get at them. Hopefully, that would save the eggs till I get home and take the big fish out.

Thankx for answering.

Rick

I am sure that would work as long as they put the eggs into it i guess:)

I am guessing that you are going to move the eggs to a new home at some point.

matt

We have had a pair of gold barbs for more than two years now,,,and just realized they were mates! When moving earlier this summer, I set up a 90 gallon first in the garage and used it as a half-way house while we settled in. Although I have never seen an egg "drop" three days after vacating that last occupants I spotted a little guy wigglin' about. Barely bigger than one of those inchworm looking, copepods things, and certainly smaller then hydra. It took a full month for them to get big enough to identifry!! Which of course was complicated by the fact that every other fish in the house had swamin that tank @ some point during the transition.

Im thinkn the only reason we ever got them after two years, is the fact that they were alone.

You mention getting home and taking "the big fish out" and I think that may be key. With the right conditions and fertilized eggs the only other thing needed is time.