Help with Water

JohnRosario

Thanks for all the information.

To give some more information on my tank. I used distilled bottled water from Culligan. I purchased a R/O unit but I'm still waiting for it to get in.

My GH is 20ppm.

I use a couple methods to check the pH. I have a digital pH meter, I do a 3 point calibration every couple days to make sure that I am getting the right readings and I use a color indicator.

I'm not using Co2 nor have I previously. I'm hoping to set up a DIY Co2 set up as soon as I get my Co2 difuser from eBay.

My tank is planted with 3 large Echinodorus bleheri, Anubas on drift wood, 40% carpet cover with 60% Echinodorus Tenellus and 40% of a plant which looks like a mini fern.

I was also a little suprised that my fish did not die with such a serious swing in pH. I would assume with a huge swing like that the fish would look stressed, lose appetite, or look pale. Everyone looks good and is eating well.

"Does anyone have any recommendations on water conditions to keep happy discus?"

I would do some research on simplydiscus.com.

To grow out your discus to optimal size you will have to change up to 75% water daily for the first year.

Tap water pre-conditioned for 24 hours and heated to 88 F is all that is needed.

To grow-out healthy discus and trying to maintain a high tech or even a planted tank, at the same time, may be too much to ask for, and would not likely be attempted by the most experienced discus keepers.

Young discus need to be fed 4-6 per day and the accumulated waste can not be removed efficiently in a planted tank.

Pure clean water is key!

One more note: you will be seriously overstocked in a very short time

j

Edited by geleen