Basketball bird

bozco

I know these are horrible photos, but apparently this bird only photographs well in full sunlight, I'll try and replace them with better ones if I can, but she doesn't like to do her trick near the window...

Anyway, this is Mattie...look how smart she is :D

post-34-1110505183

Yup, clicker trained her.

Actually story behind that trick.

I got this bird last febuary, she was bald on her head because she chewed her cage bars all the time, she screamed and she bit. Being bit until I bled is what made me decide to clicker train her. Thing is I didn't even know that clicker training birds was already getting popular. All I knew what that you could clicker train elephants so why not a bird?

Anyway, teaching her to target and then do her ball trick stopped the bar chewing and the screaming. However we have not been able to do much lately because she got aggressive towards her targetting stick, started to attack it and rip it out of my hands. So she's been getting a few months off. to get over whatever made her angry in the first place.

Took her about three days to have the ball drop perfect though. Was harder for me than it was for her.

If you have the time, and it doesn't take alot, go ahead and try a few things with your 'too, its fun, the birds like it and you can train the bird to throw the ball for the dog if you got one*L* I'm so lazy

What kind of cockatoo? And what new parrot shop?

Oh yeah, I know about them, have their business card. But I did not know they carried Harrisons, thanks for the link.

Moluccans are beautiful, of course the only one I've ever met in person is through the rescue I volunteer for. She's pretty much completely bald, like a half plucked chicken, but such a sweet heart once you get her trust.

Heh, if you ever need a bird sitter give me a shout. I've got experiance with macaws, cockatoos, and a variety of smaller birds. :thumbs:

Yup, I'm a foster home for FFARRA and I am friends with the Calgary administrator, in fact I'm the one who told her about it and she contacted the Edmonton folks and got it going in Calgary.

I'm referring to Kia, currently being fostered in her home, I birdsat her for a weekend and if she's not adopted by then I'll be doing it again soon.

Murphy, as far as I know, is not plucked, at least not badly because this is him.

http://www.parrotrescue.ca/Bird_Month.htm

Kia is a plucked female, with a number of medical conditions, kidney failure being the most prominent.

And I beleive there is another female available as well, she picks her feathers but I don't know how badly. Here have another link.

http://www.calgaryparrotclub.ca/index.php?...viewtopic&t=236

Thats the list of the birds available right now and Niki's email is at the bottom of that, if you were interest :)

Well I'm sure you got lots of time to think about it, which is how it should be anyway.

Even if you miss these guys I'm certain they won't be the last M2s we see. :(

For my part, I'm interested in a veiled chameleon in the future and I think I'll know where to look for that now.

Oh and while I've got your attention maybe you can answer this question I've had for the last few days, is it legal to sell turtles in Alberta?

Oh and while I've got your attention maybe you can answer this question I've had for the last few days, is it legal to sell turtles in Alberta?

For the most part, yes...however...

You may own, but not buy/sell:

red-eared sliders (Genus Trachemys)

You may not own or buy/sell:

1. SNAPPING TURTLES (Family Chelydridae)

Snapping Turtle Chelydra serpentina

Alligator Snapping Turtle Macroclemys temmincki

2. FRESHWATER TURTLES (Family Emydidae)

Blanding's Turtle Emydoidea blandingii

European Pond Turtle Emys orbicularis

Map Turtles Genus Graptemys

3. MUD TURTLES (Family Kinosternidae)

Mud Turtles Genus Kinosternon

4. SOFT-SHELLED TURTLES (Family Trionychidae)

Soft-shelled Turtles Genus Trionyx

5. PAINTED TURTLES (Genus Chrysemys)